Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tennessee Professional Privilege Tax 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

randymel

Materials
Sep 8, 2008
US
Hello all - I live and practice in Oklahoma, but got my TN license to do some work for a client, but now that project is over. I'm considering not paying the TN PP Tax this year, as I don't forsee needing my TN PE license again anytime soon. Is this a bad idea? Do you guys pay yours, even if you don't use your TN PE? Thanks.

RB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The way I understand it, the tax is not optional. If you have a license you have to pay it or you are in violation of the state law. Never a good idea to break the law.

Also, if you haven't looked at it already, the system for making the payment has changed. I found the new system to be a pain the behind.

Mike Lambert

Randymel:
Oh, go ahead and pay it, and smile while you do. Like your thread title suggests, you should consider it a privilege, the state gov. has lots of things to spend it on. So, taxing nonresidents and professionals is a good way to screw people who don’t really have a vote on the issue. At the moment, be thankful, they are considering a bill which will tax the privileged for their privileges.

You can avoid paying the tax by submitting your inactive status paperwork. It is what I did. I was no longer living/working in TN so not using the license. You would probably want to pay the yearly renewal fee which is cheaper than the tax. It was originally my home state though and where I took the test. They sent me a notification that if I didn't pay the license renewal fee by a certain date I would have to take/pass the test again to be recognized in TN again, so I paid the renewal fee. If it is not your originally licensed state it might be different. I know I had a license in NC by comity that I let expire but when I needed to use that license again I just had to pay a renewal fee. It would probably pay to call and ask specifics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back