Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tension force 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amwc

Structural
Aug 1, 2011
GB
Hi
I am trying to model 2 panes of glass butt up next to each other. Both fixed on 3 sides and fixed to each other at the edge joint using silicon
As these deflect there will be tension load between the panes where they are butted together
Could anyone suggest how to model this?
Thanks
Andy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you provide a simple schematic/sketch of this structure ? Depending on the dimensions you may want to model the joint's geometry. Otherwise you will have to approximate this connection, most likely with tie constraint.

D36E0804-4A2C-41A8-A16C-04AB40053E2C_nbaiht.jpg

Tie constraint may be sufficient in this case, unless you want to account for joint’s strength (then you will have to model it explicitly). So it mainly depends on the exact purpose and assumptions of the study.

Hi thanks for the reply

The only thing I need to know is the max amount of tension in the siliconed joint kN/m

Cheers

Hi

I have now modelled this as a 1 sided model i.e. supported on 3 sides. I can see it deflecting on the unsupported side which means there is tension on the rear side of the plate but how can I get ascertain the amount of tension at a mid span node?

Many thanks

Andy

Have you applied the symmetry boundary condition to the free edge ? You can use the NFORC variable to read nodal forces in the model.

Hi Feaway

I don't think I have applied symmetry boundary? where do I find it to apply it

Your help is much appreciated

It should be applied to the boundary where your model was cut in half. In the normal direction so if you utilize symmetry in the X axis, for example, then you need XSYMM boundary condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back