Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

eskim

Electrical
May 25, 2003
ID
Dear All,

Please confirm me for this small confussion. Can I use non-insulated 600V terminal lug to be used for 11kV arrester circuit ? In my opinion Yes, since voltage will effect to insulation material only so for non-insulated doesn't matter.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I disagree. Air distance is also a form of insulation. This is even recognized by UL and can be calculated as part of the insulating requirements.

If you take a 600V terminal block and place 11KV on it, you will likely get arc-over.

eskim:

Your basic understanding is not wrong, however in the USA many single conductor lugs are UL listed for only 600V. UL (or equivalent) listing is very important in North America. This perhaps is more to avoid liabilities from misapplications, than anything else.

Some manufactures say on their product datasheets that it is UL listed for 600V and 'recommended' up to 35 kV and with due warning that for higher voltage applications it must be used in conjunction with appropriate stress control termination kits/methods, in accordance with manufacturer's recommendation.

If the installation is all overhead using bare conductors, the metal is metal, it has no voltage rating per say.

You should consult the lug mfr. for their recommendations.

Rafiq Bulsara

Many larger sized bare metal compression lugs for power conductors are rated for use at up to 35kV.

Alan
“The engineer's first problem in any design situation is to discover what the problem really is.” Unk.

It depends on your application of the lug. During HV testing, a lot of testing is performed with 600V conductors in free air at voltages >22kV using normal 600V connections.

For a permanent installation, you should do the research with vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back