Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tesla Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

roydm

Industrial
Jan 29, 2008
CA
Just out of curiosity is there anything special about the motors in a Tesla automobile. I know they are known for their lightning acceleration.
What type of motor?
3 Phase or more?
How many Poles?
Rev range?
Voltage?
Horsepower?

Any other interesting details on the drive system?

My SIL is very interested in these cars, I want to impress his socks off LOL
Thanks
Roy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There's nothing really special about what Tesla does.

The drivetrain is designed to target the 0-60mph acceleration range. The acceleration drops off rather quickly when taken above what is legal anywhere in the US. If you watch them in the 1/4 mile they can get a hell of a jump off the line and still get run down at the top end.

They put a lot of battery into the car to get the long range.

"Peak short time HP. The maximum RMS HP will be much lower."

As long as I can remember All of Sears powered equipment, electric and gasoline, employed "interesting" power ratings.

Similar to "HP at the brochure," as I think Car and Driver, or Road and Track once said.

Tmoose - yes. There was an air compressor class action suit over the "peak HP" ratings which resulted in their ratings being changed. Small engine powered equipment generally has cc but no HP ratings anymore for similar reasons.

I received $ 95.00 in class action suit against small engine mfgr used in my John Deere lawn tractor: 26 HP in 1' cube space! Must have been that overhead cam design...

Here is the spec on the Delphi EV PMAC motor I had in my equinox conversion. Check out the field weakening area 1600 - 10,300rpm! Used resolver feedback for the Rinehart drive. With the liquid cooling, I suspect the HPs Tesla shows are close to continuous; you just can't use them for long due to battery capacity.

www.KilroyWasHere<dot>com

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=49317396-15f3-4e80-9570-5ceda15863aa&file=Equinox_Delphi_Motor_specs.jpg
I knew a small engine repair instructor.
Whenever the subject of small engine HP came up he would always say;
"The first liar doesn't stand a chance!"

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

I am surprised that on a truck they wouldn't go to wheel motors. Zero drivetrain, the hub is the motor.
This is how heavy haul (mine trucks) equipment is built.
Not desirable in a car since it increases un-sprung weight and has a negative impact on handling, but in a truck that isn't an issue. And it keeps the part count down.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

I suspect they wanted to make use of existing parts to keep the cost down, and that means using off-the-shelf (from the trucking industry) wheels, hubs, brake drums, air brake actuation mechanisms etc., and off-the-shelf (from Tesla) motors, which require using a gear-reducer to get into an appropriate torque and RPM range.

Mining trucks don't have to pass the encyclopaedia of DOT and NHTSA regulations, either. Over-the-road trucks do, and there are a fair number of "thou shalt do it this way" requirements in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back