Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Test crashes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I've watched a couple more times, I'm beginning to think that it might be a fake.

The reason I say that is because if they're using the same 'immovable object' for all the tests, why does it not show any damage, not even a scratch? Note that I went out the web and did a search (this video was mailed to me by a friend) and this video is all over the place and no where did I see anything that implied that it was fake.

OK, I looked a little harder and found that reference to the 3D simulation game called BeamNG:

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

The clues should include the total lack of motion on the immovable object. All structures deflect relative to load. Also, the lack of disintegration should be another hint. That takes a lot of extra computing power to model.

Real world comparison:

Also check out the name of the petrol / gas station behind.... Think they took that from Toy Story where the station owner was called Dinoco.

Although it looks more like a skiunk or a racoon.

But pretty impressive animation, I'll have to give you that.

Think mythbusters did something similar with a rocket powered sled and cut a car in half...
Screenshot_2023-04-12_125612_unonzd.jpg

Screenshot_2023-04-12_125751_vfnxvs.jpg

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

This is in BeamNG, like GregLocock said. It's probably the only true soft body physics car simulator. And it is a full simulator, everything from the engine (oil temps, coolant temps, cylinder wall temps, head gasket, piston and con rod stress) to tires to body deformation is actually simulated in real time. It's very impressive and I've spent hundreds of hours playing for fun.

Here's some perimeter security crash testing video from Texas Transportation Institute. I was talking to one of their researchers years ago who said it was a slight paradigm shift going from Dept. of Transportation roadside barrier testing to Dept. of State embassy security testing. DOT was mostly concerned occupant injury prevention, where State didn't much care.

My glass has a v/c ratio of 0.5

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

The tell that it's CGI is that when the car crashes, it spews debris, but the ground is clear after the car stops.

The second tell is that the sun flare and shadow of the post does not change at all, which means no sun motion, which is impossible, given the time that would be required to clear the wreckage

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Part of me wonders if I believe you're all making some sort of joke by pointing out all the less conspicuous indications it's CGI and deliberately not mentioning the blatantly obvious fact that the wheels start clipping through other objects as though they don't exist

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why yes, I do in fact have no idea what I'm talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back