Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Test Reimbursement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbeeEE

Electrical
Jun 26, 2009
US
I work for a electrical contracting company, that has about 40-50 employees. Most of the employees are field electricians, and the company will pay for their master electricians courses or other courses, once they get passing results. They have done this with many of our electricians. I am the only engineer in the office, and the company has a P.E. on retainer, to review and stamp my work.

So on to me, this has been a great year for my career, I took the F.E. Exam in April and Passed, then took the LEED N.C. 2.2 in June and Passed, now I just took and passed my Power P.E. in Oct. I currently have two years of valid work experience, so I still need 2 more years of work experience to receive my registration number and stamp.

I go into my VP's office and ask him about the reimbursement for my test cost. He says he will talk with the owner. Which he does and the owner shuts it down, saying that they will never see the benefit of the my certifications. Then goes on to say that if I want them to pay for it, they want me to sign a 3 year contract, with them. Career suicide??

The way I see it is I am marketable, only 26 and twos years out of school. I have been planning to move on after the new year anyways(even before this and even more now), once I found out how I did on the my P.E. exam.

I just want to know if I have any grounds to stand on(legally or any others),to fight for my test reimbursement money. So what do you guys think.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It will probably depend on what if any written policies and or contract you/the technicians have. What do they say about remuneration for such things. Are they required to work for the company for a certain amount of time else pay it back or something?

It may not seem fair that technicians get their exams paid for while Engineers don’t, but the law isn’t usually about what’s fair.

Also, much as I hate to do so, look at it from your employers point of view, what direct benefit do they get at this stage from your having taken & passed the exam? Presumably studying for it has made you a bit more knowledgeable but apart from that what? Are you now able to earn more for your employer? Are you able to save them money? Are you able to do anything because of taking the test that you couldn’t the day before?

From a personnel relations point of view it would be good for them to have at least tried to come up with something, even if it’s just part of the cost, or the equivalent of what the techs get if less than the PE exam. Maybe something like a written agreement to give you a some kind of award when you get your stamp or something would have been more agreeable than how they’ve handled it.

I don’t suppose it occurred to you to get this straight before paying to take the test did it?

I'd be surprised if you really have any legal grounds but that doesn't mean you can't find a lawyer to ask if you're serious.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

A few comments -

-Seems unfair, but are you going to risk your job over a couple hundred dollars?

-My employer, an engineering consulting firm, used to NOT pay for home state licenses. It's not that unusual. They paid for OOS ones they require for projects.

-You would have better economic grounds for reimbursement if you could stamp drawings now and they could let the retainer engineer go.

If I were you, I'd be annoyed, but I would let it go or ask if they would consider deferred reimbursement when you get your license, if you're still there. You can always go take the Masters Electrician exam, too, you know. : )

I agree; if they didn't say beforehand they'd pay for it, you're SOL. If their policy is written vaguely enough that they don't get specific about techs vs. engineers, you might have a shot, but are you willing to risk ill will if you push it?

If you're the only engineer there, that probably means they don't really understand the significance of certification and licensure for engineers. They should understand the importance of the PE, because if you're licensed then they can stop paying the outside PE to review & stamp your stuff, but they have a point in that they won't be able to reap that benefit if you don't stick around.

However, asking for a 3-year commitment for paying a coupla-hundred-dollar test fee is obnoxious. It might be different if they paid for exam prep courses and a whole bunch of other stuff too, but that level of commitment is along the lines of what people have to commit to when work buys them a whole master's degree.

I'm with KENAT--the time to work this out, to argue your case about how important this stuff is, would have been before you took the tests.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Hate to say it here, but I have found that contractors have just a LITTLE bit of prejudice against Engineers.

Personally, I would bide my time, not make waves, and search for another job (in a better market) when you get your PE. I think your days are numbered with that firm.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Why would you expect reimbursement if you did not ask before hand? They could be nice to you and agree now but I don't think you have any reason for hard feelings. You also don't have any particular reason to stay. But don't be angry.

He's expecting reimbursement because everyone else got reimbursement. Except the management sees him as a different case from everyone else.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Companies pay for master electrician licenses because they can bill more for electricians with master licenses.

Right now the OP has two more years to go before his PE at which time his company can cut loose the PE on retainer. At that time I would ask for a raise and/or reimbursement of the exam cost. At this time, there is no benefit to the company and there may never be any benefit, so I can understand the reason for paying electrician exam costs and not PE exam costs.

Depending on the state, they, and you, may be technically violating the PE laws in your state. A PE is supposed to be in "responsible" charge of your activities. If he's just coming to "review and stamp," then he's not really in charge of your activities. What that also should mean is that he's not really in a position to validate your performance as an EIT.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Writing's on the wall...Mike is right..you're an engineer working for a contractor...bad combination. You'll always be an albatross if you adhere to your engineering ethics and responsibilities. If they are not willing to reimburse you for your exams, then they are telling you that they don't value the P.E. and you along with it. Don't wait until they ask you to compromise your ethics and your professional responsibility. Start looking.

Also, you might have a problem qualifying for the FE exam since your work is not under the direct supervision of a licensed engineer.

Good luck.

My work is paying for my master's degree, they will pay for the PE when I take it, and I don't have to give any commitment whatsoever.

That being said, I don't think it's legally required, regardless of what they do for others, unless it's a company policy. I'm getting a little preferential treatment in the grad school reimbursement. They have the reimbursement capped at $3k in the handbook, but they lifted that cap for me (as long as I'm getting all A's, which isn't a problem).

NewbeeEE,

My company did not pay for my PE exam or allow me to take it on company time. All of the money was out of pocket. I don't see any grounds you have to demand they pay for your exam.

I get other benefits from working at my company and I don't consider the $400 it cost me to take the exam a big deal.

By the way, your story doesn't make sense. In paragraph #2 you say that you passed the power P.E. exam and in paragraph #4 you say you will quit your job once you find out if you pass or not. So did you pass or not?

(PS - It's not smart to take the PE exam before you have enough qualifying experience. Many other states will deny comity if you took the exam prior to gaining the required experience. )

Cedar Bluff Engineering

Ahem, welcome to the world of "professional."

Take a deep breath, suck it up. Act like a professional.

Getting that PE is part of your education and qualification. As a professional, you will always have responsibilities greater than the technicians.

I paid for every part of mine out of pocket. My second state was paid for by my employer. My (ongoing) renewal fees are my responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back