Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

testing according to ASTM A234

Status
Not open for further replies.

gluca

Petroleum
Sep 23, 2006
IT
Talking about tensile tests according to ASTM A234 WPB; if I make a butt welding fitting starting from a plate with wall tickness 25 mm, I have to normalize (heat treatment) this fitting. Very often the plates are furnished as rolled, not heat treated, but the tensile tests reported on the 3.1 certificate (of the starting plate) are performed on normalized samples of these plates.
Do I have to perform new tensile tests for my normalized fitting, or can I use the records of the test on the starting plate to declare that the fitting meet the ASTM A234 tensile requirements. The starting plate was not heat treated, but the samples have been heat treated in the same manner as my fitting.... Thanks, Gianluca

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you need to perform new tensile testsw representative of the heat treatment to meet the requirements of ASTM A 234 (please review ASTM A 234, section 8 Tensile Requirements. Having tensile test reports for starting plate that is not heat treated according to A 234 means absolutely nothing! The only value of the test report for the starting plate material is the chemical analysis.

I'm in accordance with Steve Jones and with what he said in "Metal and metallurgy eng. forum" thread 330-166078 (my question is the same as in this forum). I hope some more persons can help us to clarify this matter... thanks Gianluca

After careful review of the original post and suggested reading of ASME SA 234-04, (I don't have the ASTM A 234 05 Edition because it has not yet been endorsed by ASME Section II) under 9.0 Tensile requirements, you do not need to conduct new tensile tests to certify the fitting PROVIDED the heat treated test samples from the starting plate match the heat treatment condition of the fitting. If you can prove the heat treatments are identical (temperatures and times and cooling medium), fine. If not, you need to certify the heat treated fitting with tensile tests.

RE: Impact Test For Hot formed Fittings madeout of pipe. Designer requires Kv-20 Impact test + on product. or / written waranty on EN 10204:3.1 certificate that qualified mantufacturing procedure ensures same values as for the originating pipe. Manufacturer gives Pipe Test Report.
Can anything else be requested decently ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back