Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Testing an Actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.

techmanbd

Electrical
Aug 12, 2003
US
I have an actuator that I am going to make an automated test for. It is a rotary shaft actuator. I want to hook a torque meter to one side of the shaft, which I may have found a torque meter for that. My big problem is on the other side of the shaft I would like to put some kind of motor, maybe stepper or servo that I can control what kind of torque I want it to put out and also able to go both CCW and CW. Any suggestions where I can look for a motor like this?

Brian
Manufacturing Engineer
Electro-Mechanical

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oh yeah, forgot the torque I am looking for. my range I need is from .2 Nm to 50 Nm

Brian
Manufacturing Engineer
Electro-Mechanical

You can do torque control with a servo. I have done applications like this. Depending on the control you need, you maybe able to use an air-actuator, but Air is very inefficient compared to the servo.

A stepper would not be the best choice to use for torque control because it can stall and not usually used for torque control.

Look at the following mfgs for servos:
Emerson Control Techniques, Parker Compumotor, Baldor, Rockwell/Allen-Bradley, Danaher (Kollmorgen, Pac-Sci..), Balmuler, Indramat...Me (Aerotech), there are more.

Servo will give you both position and torque control and is programable.

Cameron Anderson - Sales & Applications Engineer
Aerotech, Inc. -
"Dedicated to the Science of Motion"

If you decide on a servo drive. DONT use a Seidel drive as we have plenty of machines fitted with these and they are nothing but trouble

Regards

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back