Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing Bench for Valves 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

serkanalib

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2015
TR
Hello everyone!

We produce manually operated valves and we want to build up a valve testing bench.For globe, gate, butterfly, swing check valves.Test valve will be actuated (on-off) on test bench with supply of water from water tank.
Related standart is EN 1267:2012.Test scope is to determine flow coefficient and flow resistance coefficient.
Can you please advice some sources? Does someone has such an experience?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

The question is a bit unclear. You want to build a test bench using third party service or by yourself?
Some suggestion, hope not against the forum rule is Ventil from Netherlands.
They can fabricate custom test bench for you.

Not sure about the flow coefficient calculation though? Its really depending on many things (roughness, profile of the valve, etc.).
And also the test limited with booster pump you used, hydraulic clamping size and accumulator vessel.

Regards,
MR

All valves will last for years, except the ones that were poorly manufactured; are still wrongly operated and or were wrongly selected

Hi Danlap,

We want to build test bench for ourself.We have a ventil test machine. This test bench will be for collecting data not a valve pass/fail hydro test for valves.

Best Regards

Hi serkanalib,

Please don't simplify my input below. It is somehow more complicated.
I am guessing you are doing empirical approach. So sweat and some attempts of trial and error towards perfection are likely [bigsmile].
Unless you have a very big tank (well preserved) and several booster pumps with ranges of flow.

Tank should have:
a. several pH meter and thermometer.
b. Are you using corrosion inhibitor or not?
c. You should have all the fluid data at any given (measured at point a) condition: Molecular weight; Compressibility factor; Density; Specific Heat ratio factor; etc.

Your process and mechanical engineer should have:
- Mechanical properties of all valve material you will use: Surface roughness; friction coefficient; etc.

Measurement device to be mounted as close as possible to the downstream and upstream side of the valve.
Be cautious, the nozzle of the measurement device will causing small turbulence before upstream side (assuming its streamline) and adding more turbulence after the downstream side.
Therefore Correction factor needed.
Type of measurement device to be mounted before and after the valve:
- Flowmeter (mass and velocity)
- Pressure transmitter
- Anemometer (to determine streamline and or turbulence condition)

Unlike actual Plant, your testing bench will requires several fittings, T, etc. Maybe I am wrong, but normally booster pump is horizontal and the valve will be mounted vertical. Adjustment (to figure out suitable correction factor) is required as per your convenience.
Assuming you are only using 1 booster pump. Do some trial with several flow. Higher flow more likely obtained from hypothesis.
Software calculation, Logic and The interconnection between all parameter of course for you to develop.
PS: Aside from valve design profile, Cast carbon steel vs Stainless Steel will have different flow resistance. Take your time do the test, boosted water by warm pump in a long run will shift slightly the water characteristic.

Due to the effort, unique design which resulting different output and some patented design, I never see test bench manufacturer reveal their complete story.
Good-luck

Regards,
MR

All valves will last for years, except the ones that were poorly manufactured; are still wrongly operated and or were wrongly selected

As Danlap said, it's a bit difficult to give advice due to your vague description. It will be better if you can specify the following details: 1) valve types to be tested 2) pressure ratings(Class 150 ~ 2500 or PN6~PN400, etc) 3) size ranges 4) hydraulic + air ? 5) temperatures (cryogenic or room ambient)? 6) end connection types.

In fact, there are many valve-testing machine manufacturers. Usually, ball+gate+globe+swing-check valve can be tested by one model, butterfly+wafer/lug-check can be tested by another model. Hydraulic testing bench for high-pressure ratings sometimes are not applicable to low-pressure valves since the large initiative force through the mandrel may break the low-pressure designed valves. I doubt whether a single bench can meet your requirements.

HeBei Metals Industrial Limited

Dear Danlap and Hwaxinfittings, thank you very much for your explanations.

Our company name is Dikkan; we produce manually operated valves (rarely actuator installed) and sell all around the world.Globe valves, gate valves, check valves, mudboxes, etc. and the materials are cast iron, steel, bronze stainless steel.

In fact We have some sketches for this test bench. I can upload sketches of the test bench.
Based on EN 1267 standart; one loop test bench will include test valve, water tank,flowmeter, thermometer, centrifugal pump ,differantial pressure measuring device, on-off valves, pipes, elbows etc.

Pnemautic actuator or hydraulic maybe will be mounted for on-off operations.Pressure loss will be measured between 2 points (upstream-downstream) by using differantial pressure measuring device
Of course test tube sizes, test conditions, must be selected accordingly.We are planing to build for DN250 sizes and below.Pressure will be PN4 to PN40.

According to this standart first purpose is to determine flow coefficient and flow resistance coefficient for mentioned sizes.Sure testing will give us empirical results also.
This data will give us chance to improve design and more knowledge about control valves
This will be real simulatin of flow through the valves. I wonder how the big valve manufacturers manage this R&D Works for valves.

Regards

Hi serkanalib,

Big valve manufacturer are focus/specialize on their valve type. And they do have bigger and years of testing experience.
name a few that I do know.
Vanessa --> Butterfly valve (up to 42 in. test bench), can do this also the flow testing whenever required
Mokveld --> Nozzle Check valve. very low and High pressure (2500 Psig). Up to 20" if I am not mistaken.

As for wide type manufacturer (like you). They do both shall required.
But again, flow resistance (aside for control valve) are not really major issue for End user. They know what to expect shall ordering manual valve.

Regards,
MR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back