Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing VCR /remote controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicopee

Mechanical
Feb 15, 2003
US
How would one test a VCR or the associated remote controller. Remote controller battery was replaced and the LED lights up but the VCR does not respond. Is there a way to test both before deciding on buying a new system?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some remotes need programmed to work with whatever... sometimes that programming "goes away" and all the unit needs is reprogrammed -- unfortunately, you need the remote user's manual to locate the correct code/procedure to reprogram (this assumes your remote is this kind)

there is a web site (in California, I think) that sells remotes for various equipment -- my TV remote (Sony) died a slow death and the only way to "program" the TV to add/delete channels was with the remote -- they had one that did the job... you might do a search on "remote control" or something similar to see if you can locate that site (sorry, I didn't mark it)

of course, as technology goes, the VCR is so cheap anymore, a new VCR might be the cheap way to go....

Hi!

If you have an oscilloscope check the pin of the IR-led in the remote controller. You should find an impulse flow when you keep pressed one of the buttons. If the remote controller works you have to find the IR receiver in the vcr. Check the output of the IR receiver. You should find the transmitted IR signal on it.

lauri68

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back