Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TEXT IN MODELING NOT STAYING ASSOCIATIVE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencilgeek

Industrial
Nov 11, 2010
US
Why does the text in modeling not stay with the planar face it is placed on when the face is normal to the "Y" axis. If I place it on the a face normal to the "X" axis, and move that face, the text moves with it, as I would expect. I select the "associative" option when I create the text, but when I edit parameters, the "associative" option is gone. Is there another setting I have to turn on to keep the text curves on that face?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hallo pencilgeek,

Please mention the version you are using.

Anyway in 7.5 which i use, the text is defenitely parametric. I used on face option and i used the edge of the face as location and now add a move face command before the text and the text will move wherever the face goes. And even you can rotate the face and the text will re-orient.

Yes its true that associativity check box is gone in case you want to edit and you have to use remove parameters to break the associativity.

AK
NX 7.5.2.5

Sorry, 7.5.5.4. I see now. I was using the wrong type. The way I WAS doing worked fine the first couple times I used it, just so happened to be perpendicular to the "X" axis. Using On Face is the answer.

Thanks!

Now are we talking about 'text' in the sense of notes and dimensions, or we talking 'text' in the sense of the modeling feature made-up of lines and arcs which then can be used to model such things as raised letters or engraved words in your models?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Using the PMI tools in Modeling you align Notes relative to faces of a model using the normal 'Plane' orientation options including 'CSYS of an Object' such as the planar face of a model. Also you can use such approaches as 3-Point methods, X/Y Axis as well several other schemes including aligning them with Datum planes. Note that while the 'notes' themselves are NOT features, at least not in the sense that the geometric 'Text' objects are features, they are nonetheless 'associated' with whatever objects were selected when defining the 'plane' that they are aligned to.

For example, here's a model where I created a PMI note aligned with the vertical side of the extruded body, but when I went back and added Draft to the extrusion the note updated to align with now tapered face:

PMINoteonFaceofModel.png

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back