Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text in Sketch on a Part

Status
Not open for further replies.

TateJ

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2002
US
I have a simple soleplate - rectangular, 4 anchor holes & 4 tapped mounting holes.
The top surface is machined level & I want our machine shop to engrave the word "TOP" on the top surface, so it won't get installed upside down.
So I place a Sketch on the top Plane & Insert text - but it comes in upside down!
It's not a deal-breaker, but it's making me angry.
I've been trying to right this text for over an hour!
This is really getting to me, please help me.[bomb]

"Where oh where are you tonight? Why did you leave me here all alone? I searched the world over and thought I found true love. You met another and, phbbbt, you were gone."
Hee Haw [jester]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try Tools>Sketch Tools>Modify... in the active sketch and you should be able to rotate the text around to where you need it. "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

You might try to insert the sketch on the top level surface of your part, not the top plane (select the top surface and then insert sketch).

You know, I would've sworn that I tried the Modify Sketch Tool and it didn't work.
Oh well, must not've been holding my mouth right.
Thanks guys/gals... "Where oh where are you tonight? Why did you leave me here all alone? I searched the world over and thought I found true love. You met another and, phbbbt, you were gone."
Hee Haw [jester]

I also have a question about text:
Is it in anyway possible to extrude text on a cilindrical face, in the way that the text-"plane" is the surface of the cilinder. The text has to be perpendicular to the axis. Imagine text on the cup of coffee you drink in the morning: just like that ! [morning]
Who knows ?
Aart

Yes there is...
Create a PLANE out in space.
INSERT your TEXT on that plane.
Then CUT EXTRUDE it to an OFFSET FROM SURFACE & REVERSE THE OFFSET.
I'll e-mail it to you... "Where oh where are you tonight? Why did you leave me here all alone? I searched the world over and thought I found true love. You met another and, phbbbt, you were gone."
Hee Haw [jester]

I ran in to this last week...
Draw a consruction line in your sketch, making it vertical or horizontal, etc. Then select your text, right click and properties. (Sketch Text Manger should show in your Feature Manager Area) Hightlight the "Curves" dialog box and select your new construction line. You should probably delete any other dimensions to your text, but this should align your text and allow you to flip the text or rotate it as you desire with tool buttons in the manager.

Hope it helps,
Monte

OK, thanks guys for the examples, but I'm affraid this is not want I want.

I don't want the text to "distort", when projected on the cilindrical surface. I think I wasn't clear in describing the problem.
Imagine text in the orientation that you have used (Scott and Jack) with the text describing the full 360deg around the cilinder, how do you do that ?

Thanks for your help so far, now for the next level,
I have big expectations about the solutions you will find,
Aart

Not as slick as Scott's suggestion, but I won't charge you $400.00 for this: [pimp] (I looked for a sarcasm smiley, but couldn't find one)
Could you split your text into several segments and make it work for a 360 degree cylinder?
I know it's a pain in the a__, but if your only going to do this once, maybe it's worth while.
Of course it all depends on the circumference of your cylinder and the size of your text.
But I'd try to make it work.

Hey, if we're not careful we're going to have two threads in one here. "Gloom, despair and agony on me. Deep, dark, depression, excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Gloom, despair and agony on me."
Hee Haw [cry]

TateJ,

There is a better way to control you sketched text than using the modify sketch tool. When you choose the sketched text tool, the first option at the top of the feature manager is "Curves". Select a sketch entity or edge on which to position the text. The default is for the bottom of the text to follow the curve, but you can use "flip vertical" and "flip horizontal" as well as the alignment tools to control the text. The reason that using curves to control the text is better is that now your text has a relationship to the geometry of the part and will update its position as the part changes. Using modify sketch does not make the skeched text feature as robust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back