Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text on a datum curve 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangmike

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2004
US
Does anyone know if it is possible to draw text on a datum curve? I am trying to draw text on a cylindrical surface. I figured that I could draw the text from a datum plane then make a cut but it doesn't look the same.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mike,

I'm using Pro/E 2001 and I can project text via projected datum curve. I use to show laser marking on an assembly. Best of Luck

Vince

Hi Mike,

This method works most of the time for me... (using WF 1 or 2)

1)Create the curve on a plane on which you want the text to follow.
2)Project the curve onto the cylindrical surface.
3)Create a new sketched datum curve, this time, however, sketch the text. Select the "follow curve" option, and reference the projected curve.
4)Use the Edit-->Wrap command instead of projecting the curve. Wrap maintains the letters' proportionality (more or less) as they follow the surface.
5)Use the offset tool & select the Expand or Expand With Draft option.
6)Create a NEW sketch when it asks you for a sketched region. Use the same plane as the one you just sketched the text on. In the new sketch, you need to select the Use Edge tool, and select each loop created by the wrapped datum curve. (you might want to hide the original planar curve with the text).
7)Make sure the side surface is normal to the surface itself, and not the sketch.

This works somewhat haphazardly. You will run into problems when the text is has to go more than 180 degrees around the cylinder, or when the wrapped text starts to overlap itself.
Sometimes to make this work I need to do it a few times to capture text at incremental angles.

The Edit-->Wrap command sounds like its what you need. If this method here doesn't quite do it for you, try experimenting with what the wrap command is capable of.

Hope it helps.

-Mark

Mark,

The WRAP command must be a WF thing? I'm not seeing that in 2001....I know, I know maybe I will upgrade someday. Maybe it's fear of change that holds me back [surprise]

Don't worry! (just yet!) The wrap command is not exclusive to Wildfire... In 2001, it is a formed datum curve. The "Formed" command is in the Datum Curve creation menu.

The method of creating a formed curve is similar to that of creating a projected datum curve. The best way to look at it is as though the curve is made of string, and you are "dropping" it from a plane onto the surface in question.

It comes in really handy when laying writing over a highly curved surface or placing decals over a surface.
[cheers]
-Mark

Another option you might try in 2001 is to create a surface copy of the cylinder and extrude the text as a solid.
Then use a spinal or toroidal bend to bend the extruded text.

Now you can create a datum curve using an intersection between the solid and the Copied surface and use the copied surface to trim the Advanced Bend feature.

Michael
[lightsaber]

f82206af.jpg
AETD - LYNN, MA
-------------------------------------
Belcan "Advanced Engineering & Technology Division"

justkeepgiviner,
Hey I'm trying your method out but I'm having problems placing the curves. What I have done when in sketcher I will place a curve on the a plane/curve surface and I get a feature failed on either function. Can you please help me figure this out?

Thanks

I'm not sure exactly what is causing the problem.. In a sketch, you can only put text on a plane, however make it follow some curve on the plane itself.

To get the text onto a curved surface, you need to either use the expand tool (directly) or use the wrap tool and then create the embossing.

If you have specific details as to what you are trying to do, I may be able to help a bit more. Send it to mark at torgon dot com .

(I made another post which basically said the same thing... I flagged it to be deleted)

The Use Edge functionality works on Spherical Surfaces, provided that the plane used for the internal sketch is offset "above" the Solid Surface. If it is "inside", it might expand on the wrong end!

I think it doesn't work due to the fact that not all fonts have "thicknes" defined (i.e. the Pro/E Default font), and this would really cause a problem when making a 3-dimensional expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back