Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The advantages of a SWCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

vacuumdesigner

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2007
US
Ok folks, I've been asked a question and I'm hoping for a real-world not advertising propaganda response.

What is the advantage to my company to spend the money to get at least one of my designers certified as a SolidWorks certified Professional?

It's easy to see the the benefits for the individual, but what does thre company get out of it, besides a slightly more educated designer?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might check into getting the CSWA (Certified SolidWorks Associate) exam first. Costs significantly less and I think it is becoming a stepping stone to the CSWP as my understanding the passing rate is somewhere around 60% for the CSWP. I suspect that most CSWPs are AEs for VARs.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Certified SolidWorks Professional

CSWA exam, I was under the impression this was only available to students at participating universities. Do VAR's offer this also?

Matthew Dunbar, CSWP
New Balance Athletic Shoe, Inc.

This is a sample CSWA exam

Extracted from

From
Intended Audience
The intended audience for the CSWA Certification is any student with a
minimum of 6 - 9 months of SolidWorks experience and basic knowledge of
engineering fundamentals and practices. SolidWorks recommends that you review
the online tutorials on Parts, Assemblies, and Drawings as a prerequisite and have
at least 45 hours of classroom time learning SolidWorks or using SolidWorks with
basic engineering design principles and practices.

[cheers]
SW07-SP3

I just took the exam last week and passed with a 91%. You need 80% for a customer, the VARs need 90%. The exam is also going into an overhaul this summer I hear, not sure exactly how it will change.

Onto the benefits to the company. If you're like me, it adds some credibility when you have new hires come in and they want you to go see this "guru" if you have questions. The company itself can also use this on there website site to say what kind of qualified people they have. I do agree, that it benefits the person more, but you can look at that as the company believes in you enough, that they will pay for this certification to invest in you. A way of investing in the employee, not just self promoting.

Hope that helps.

J

Certified SolidWork Professional
CAD will not make better designers; it will only make poor designers faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back