Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Bermuda Triangle 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRaptor

Aerospace
May 31, 2006
FR

I recently saw a documentary on the Bermuda Triangle and have been quite fascinated since.

I would like your views/explanations on this phenomenon. I am sure there are thousands of theories already, but I am interested in knowing individual opinions.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The BT is a fake issue used to sell books imho. There was even a book written about it that debunked all the mysterious theories revolving around the aircraft disappearances. The final quote was something like, "Once you look at the statistics the mystery simply goes away."
Don't get caught up in a fable.

Aircrafts fall out of the sky. Ships sink.

The ocean is vast, and deep. There are also currents underneath.

Finding something, even know the entry point, several weeks later, is tough. Several years, decades later, is really remote.

Here is another thought. When was the last reported Bermuda Triangle plane/ship/whatever disappearance that you heard of? Anything, say, in the last 10 years? Hmmm. I haven't either.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

No, the triangle is real. You can find it on a map, go take a tour, etc.

The events are also real. A LOT of boats have gone down in that area, plus a few other things. The disasters are very real.

The causes/reasons that people hold for how the wrecks came about is what is in doubt.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein

Sure, the BT may be 'real', but just because we can't explain something doesn't mean that there is something nefarious or some superEarth being involved. My point about the very deep ocean is that many stories have involved unexplained disappearances, as if it implied that we will never find the missing ship/aircraft because it is gone forever, while the only reason we can't find the thing that disappeared because the missing object is at the bottom of a very deep ocean, not easy to access. Because we cannot find whatever it is that disappeared, we can't investigate what went wrong.

Ashereng has a good point about currents. Recently there was a piece of an F-14 that broke off when the jet went down east of Florida coastline. Years later the piece of tail washed up on the Irish coast!

Get a new monitor and power bar. Then try the site again.

That will be a scientific test. ;-)

Albert Einstein

Why should I be any different than the site's creator? ;-)

Actually, the site claims that there have been a similarly higher proportion of missing aircraft, vessels, etc., in the last 30 yrs as well. I suppose that it's possible that people simply got bored with the "mystery" since there's essentially been no progress in solving it in last 30 yrs, so no one is making any big noises about that.

TTFN

Well, once you realize it's alien sasquatches from Atlantis using psychic powers to channel the power of the pyramids through UFO's, there's really no mystery left; that's why you don't hear much about it anymore.

There was a show on television attempting to blame the sinkings on huge methane gas bubbles. They sank some fair sized models in a test tank by releasing large volumes of gas under them and were able to stall an old aircraft engine by releasing methane gas so that it was sucked into the air intake.
They made it look possible, but I think that a lot of the accidents were just that; accidents caused by a variety of reasons.
respectfully

JStephen,

Ain't it a bit longer for the much developed aliens when the dumb terristials are using SONARs (with shorter route)?

Anyway, it makes sense[wink]

Self-fulfilling prophecy...
because of all the hype anyone going there is unusually or even subconciously unsettled and this causes them to make mistakes... crash and burn.

We need to determine the proportion of missing vessels and aircraft where the crew were aware of the BT mystery compared to those who were unaware... of course, we have to find them first but how about we test everyone going into the are before hand and see how many come out again?

OK, so how do we do this without alerting them to the mystery in the first place?
That's Ok though, if we make sure everyone knows in advance then we should have an icnrease in the disaster rate.
Will that do it?

JMW

The reason why nothing has been reported lately from the Bermuda Triangle is because reporters have gone there to investigate and then have also disappeared. Spooky

Those reporters that went missing have been replaced by alien brain sucking reptoids. The evidence can be seen by watching Fox news in the USA.

You all confuse my by referring to BT. BT is British Telecom, which is also a mysterious company in England. Please take a few microseconds longer from your life and don't use acronymns if you can help it.

corus

The kind of experiment that jmw suggested would go a long way in clearing up the myth associated with the Triangle. But I wonder how many people would volunteer for it in the 1st place.

Does anyone believe that these disappearences could have anything to do with the Philadelphia experiments conducted by the American navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back