Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

the best materials... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitsoulas

Marine/Ocean
Oct 8, 2016
GR
what are the best materials that are used in engines that produce high hp/litre?

As far as i know the best materials when you're building a race engine are:2618 piston material with ptfe coating on top and skirt coating,4340 forged steel con-rods(or titanium?),4340 forged steel cranckshaft,trimetal bearings and inconel valves for the exhaust side...

Are there other materials with much greater properties than these above but they are not use because of cost?

I've heard about beryllium pistons in mercedes's f1 engine...i've heard for cranckshaft made from billet titanium...tha craziest i've ever heard is bearingless con-rods..i know they allready exist in some small cc cross bikes but how can they used in a high hp/litre engine?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Best? for what? A racing motorcycle or a top fuel drag racer?
The most intriguing engines that I have seen are the 1550HP Mercury racing engines.
What about pistons with ceramic crowns? and about 100 different technologies.
It all depends on the size, power level, and durability.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

best for withstanding high hp from small cc..for example 1000hp from 2.0l engine...

Piston with ceramic crowns?you mean ceramic(PTFE)coating?

mitsoulas said:
best for withstanding high hp from small cc

This phrase is meaningless.

What is the limiting factor of the engine? Conrod stress due to piston velocities? Thermal stress due to cooling system design?

There's no list of 'best materials' for anything that will apply universally to every design without exception.

This is the engineering equivalent of asking 'what's the best color?' or 'What's the best pizza topping?'

The answer is always some form of "it depends".

No, I mean structural ceramic composites (CMC) for crowns.
You want 1000hp form 2L for a very short period of time, that is a specific set of issues.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

hmm that's sounds very interesting...i didn't know it...could you give me some extra information about cmc crowns?

So you believe that having 1000hp from 2l belongs to science fiction?or no?for now?i 've heard mercedes is planning to make a hypercar with a 2l engine that produces 1000hp combined with 2 electromotors..but it may be just rumors...

no they say that only the IC will produce 1000hp and another 300hp the electrics...

do you have any information about the cmc's piston crowns?i've searched it but i haven't found something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back