Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

the best type of steel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

clive666

Mechanical
Jun 29, 2006
GB
greetings all, this is my first post and could do with some advice.
I am working on a yam vmax and am widening the rear swing arm to fit a fatter rear wheel.
as this particular bike is shaft driven, an additional uj supported by a bearing has to be incorporated. i have all the relavent drawings and jig to do all this, but i need a splined shaft to connect the two uj's together. i had my hands on one for a while but had to give it back, but i managed to have it tested for hardness which was 56 rockwell. i have been advised by one company that the best steel for the job es EN36B case hardened to the figure.but advised by another company of something else that would do that doesnt need additional treatment. but i cant remember what they suggested of who they were.
hoping someone out there may have some suggestions. the shaft is only 25mm round and has to take an aweful lot of torque.
cheers
clive

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why don't you do the math and figure out how much torque the shaft will transmit? Then a material recommendation can be made.

If you're worried about it, use 300M. Machine shops that make splined shafts and axles commonly use this for race stuff, which makes it available and reasonably priced. A shaft made from 300M will be the strongest part of your driveline.

How much do you want to spend??? =) I'm cyclically loading a press punch with about 55 TSI spread out over the area of the punch. Due to the design of the part, I've also got spot loads hitting over 100 TSI. While I realize this isn't torsion, the steel I'm using is taking one heck of a hit...about 30K to date w/o cracking. Material is Uddeholm K304 ISODUR. It's not cheap, but it's an excellent wrought grade. The should have the specs regarding compression/torsion/etc. on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back