Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Bourke Engine 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBBlue

Automotive
Oct 6, 2003
Okay, kids, here's your assigment: To learn all about the Bourke Engine.

Go visit this website and watch the animation;

Supposedly this engine has superior fuel economy and emissions characteristics. As far as I can tell, it is a two stroke engine. Instead of using crankcase scavenging, it uses the lower portion of the cylinder to pump the air necessary for charging the combustion chamber.

It is also claimed that the "Balanced Precision Reverse Cam Effect Roller Crankshaft" did good things too, although from the animation it looks to me that it just results in the piston spending more time at TDC and BDC, and I'm not sure the advantage of that. It apparently is also known as a "Scotch Yoke." The engine is also supposedly "self supercharging."

It is also claimed that the exhaust gas temperature is 190 to 240 deg F, the compression ratio varies from 8:1 to 20:1, and that the air/fuel ratio is 30:1 to 50:1.

I have spent some time looking at the animation, and while I would believe the engine would run, I just don't see how it is "self supercharging", I don't see the advantage of the "Scotch Yoke", and I don't quite understand how it would operate with a 30:1 to 50:1 fuel/air ratio.

If you could get ignition at an air/fuel ratio of 50:1 I could understand why the exhaust gas temperature would be quite low. In addition, the combustion temperature at an A/F ratio of 50:1 would be quite low, which would explain low nitric oxide production, and the PM's might be low by virtue of the excess oxygen present in such a lean condition. But it looks to me that the power density of such an engine would be absymal.

More information on the engine can be found at:

I must also confess that I don't quite see how this would be a "constant pressure" engine, since it looks to me closer to a "constant volume" engine.

An interesting and somewhat different view of the history of the Bourke Engine can be found at:

Does anybody have any insight about this that I am missing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Bourke is definitely a two-stroke. The scavenge chambers below the pistons induct the charge, which does not have to carry oil for bottom end lubrication, since the bottom end case is sealed. An added benefit is that oil never sees the carbon from combustion and does not get contaminated."

Roger,
How are the piston and rings lubricated?

If the seal between the crank case and the under piston chamber was designed to pass a controlled amount of oil, that could work, as could a controlled oil feed to the side of the bore, as could the inclusion of oil in the fuel as per normal 2 stroke.

If the rings seal as well as a convectional engine, they would need lube pretty much as per a normal 2 or 4 stroke, but the piston skirts could survive on significantly less oil as they have minimal side loading.

As the engine would not be so prone losses due to blow-by, maybe the ring seal is not so critical.

The pistons and bores would be cooled to some extent by the incoming charge, so the cooling effect of the oil might not be required.

It only needs compression rings, not oil control rings.

The rings are always square in the bore as the pistons don't rock over top dead centre, this should allow for a very low tension compression ring.

Just maybe, with the right bore material, coating and finish, the right ring material and tension, and very slight leakage past the oil seal, it might just get by.

Just a few random thoughts, not fully considered nor thought through.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I wonder if a graphite ring would stand up?

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au

"Wouldn't this require that the roller diameter be approximately (2/pi) times the stroke of the engine (about 2/3)?"

Good point. I assume the cad model takes some liberties with the actual design, but I could be wrong.

"...wouldn't the firing pressure halfway through the firing stroke have to be precisely equal to the compression pressure halfway through the compression stroke...If it switched a little late or a little early, the roller would skid and the engine would go "out of sync," right?"

Yeah, this is why I assume that Bourke30 has had so much trouble getting the thing to balance. I imagine that since the bearing assy acts as a flywheel, the inertia minimises this tendancy to go out of synch.

"If you used teeth to "sync" the roller, you could get around roller size problems, but wouldn't that require excessive clearance?"

Hmmm, I've seen involute teeth designed to work inside epicycloidal mechs. They are "inverted" in form, but are still compact. Don't get me wrong, I still greatly prefer epicycloidal design over this particular yoke mechanism, but am trying to understand the balance claim.

BTW, apologies that I seemed to be having a go at you in particular the other day. It was more frustration that more scoffing seemed to be prevelant than lateral thought, but was not directed at anyone in particular...

Mart

Mart, Ivymike,

I don't see why you are talking about the roller being synched to the motion. From my viewing of the solid works animation, it is just a cylindrical roller and plays no part in any balancing. It could be replaced with a slide (which would eliminate the single line of contact between the roller and the yoke). The balance masses are on the crank webs and will be synchronised because they are part of the crank. Is there something I am missing here?

Jeff

One of the web sites I referred to (a search under scotch yoke engines will turn it up, it was lost with the tail end of the thread) showed one engine with "teeth". Maybe PRIDE or CMC.

JMW
Eng-Tips: Pro bono publico, by engineers, for engineers.

I don't see why you are talking about the roller being synched to the motion... Is there something I am missing here?

I don't think it is, personally, but I thought I'd go along with the idea and see where it ends up. My current thinking is more along the lines of "could it? how?" than "does it?".

Regarding emissions.. If Bourke claimed the only emissions were CO2 and H20 then my thoughts are that he was using ethanol as a fuel. A conflict is that ethanol is a high octane fuel and somewhere in this huge thread I read that the engine needs a low octane. I could only conclude that he was using a low-grade ethanol and the emissions statement was in reference to that, and not just any fuel that you put in there (assuming that the octane rating will lower with a lower proof of ethanol).

Do you have data on ethanol octane rating when mixed with water or is this an assumption.

Any pure hydrocarbon or carbohydrate when burnt in the presence of an excess of air will form CO2 and H2O, so long as the temperatures are not high enough to form oxides of nitrogen.

All commercial chemicals contain some level of impurity, and low grades generally implies more impurities, but for fuel might also imply low octane or low energy per unit.

Impurities can form all sorts of by products when burnt.

Common byproducts from impurities in fuels are oxides of sulphur, but they can be a vast array of chemicals depending on what is in the fuel, like residual pesticides in vegetable matter used to produce ethanol for instance.

I have no data at hand, but I would expect that the addition of water might actually raise the octane level of ethanol

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au

"From my viewing of the solid works animation, it is just a cylindrical roller and plays no part in any balancing"

OK, but there seem to be lots of Bourke engine developments out there. If there is an effective 2xpiston_mass offset crank diam from bearing axis, and bearing/flywheel radius is 2/pi then balance is possible. In the real world for packaging the mass would need to be higher to compensate for reduced distance, since rpm must be precisely matched.

"One of the web sites I referred to ... showed one engine with "teeth"."

Interesting...

"Regarding emissions....."

Basically with detonation, anything that is well mixed with air will combust well. This includes coal dust and even custard powder, hence the occasional food processing plant explosion!

Mart

Somebody was asking about spending more time at top dead centre.

If you put a ladder on a one foot box, the top of the ladder will lean against the wall one foot higher, ragardless of the incline of the ladder.

If you pull the bottom of a ladder a foot further away from the wall, the top of the ladder will come down a few inches.

As the crankshaft rotates, the piston moves up and down for both of these reasons, both effects being active all the time. But if you think about it a little, around TDC and BDC, the piston rises and falls with noticable bottom of the ladder moving effect. At around 90°, the piston is rising or falling almost completely due to the ladder on a box effect.

Now if we look at the scotch yoke in the Bourke engine, you can see that at TDC and BDC there is no vertical piston movement due to bottom of the ladder moving effect.

I think that should help people to see how the Bourke engine is 'spending longer at TDC'.

Since work equals force times distance, the merits of moving smaller distances with the higher force from the greater pressures don't seem at all clear. At present it looks to me like HCCI similarites would be better explanations of efficiency rather than the idea that the flame front is not chasing the piston down so much.

"Here is the link to one of the Devaux engine forums"

Me likey! [2thumbsup]

"and here is a link to the engine with "teeth""

Clever, although lots of friction. I'll stick with epicycloidal mechanisms - 'cos it rolls off the tongue ;-)

"But if you think about it a little, around TDC and BDC, the piston rises and falls with noticable bottom of the ladder moving effect"

Nice explanation. Yoke mechanisms avoid the 2nd order piston movement, so piston motion is sinusoidal...

"Since work equals force times distance, the merits of moving smaller distances with the higher force from the greater pressures don't seem at all clear."

In spark ignition engines, and particularly with compression ignition engines the combustion takes time. An increased TDC dwell time helps keep the BMEP pressure higher, since pressure gets higher before the expansion stroke gets really going.

Mart

TDC dwell time

define "TDC dwell time" as the amount of time that the piston spends within 1% of the stroke of TDC (so within 1.2mm of TDC for a 120mm stroke)

pick a "short" rod / stroke ratio of 1.5:1
TDC dwell is 19.98deg for a conventional configuration
TDC dwell is 22.94deg for a yoke configuration

pick a "long" rod/stroke of 2:1
TDC dwell is 20.54deg for a conventional configuration
TDC dwell is 22.94deg for a yoke configuration

who was that question addressed to?

I'm saying that the maximum additional "tdc dwell time" is about 13%, depending on how you define dwell.

I must say for 1% of the stroke, that is more time than I thought and could generate worthwhile pressure build up gains, providing the extra strength necessary to accommodate it does not more than offset it.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au

"I'm saying that the maximum additional "tdc dwell time" is about 13%, depending on how you define dwell."

Well worth having for high rpm engine then. Admitedly it will have a reduced efficiency benefit in a detonation engine, since combustion time is "small".

Does anyone have any info on detonation times, or even a P-V curve? I'm curious how it compares with S.I. and C.I.

Mart

ivymike there is another way to express dwell ; rate of change in combustion chamber volume.

B/S 74.5 x 68 B/S 74.5x 68 upper B/S 54x22
TDC 4 stroke TDC 6 cycle Beare
30.4cc 30.4cc combustion chamber volume

3.04E-05 3.04E-05 360 TDC
3.07E-05 3.06E-05
3.10E-05 3.09E-05
3.14E-05 3.12E-05
3.18E-05 3.16E-05
3.23E-05 3.21E-05
3.28E-05 3.26E-05
3.34E-05 3.32E-05
3.40E-05 3.38E-05
3.47E-05 3.45E-05
3.55E-05 3.52E-05
3.63E-05 3.60E-05
3.71E-05 3.68E-05
3.80E-05 3.77E-05
3.90E-05 3.87E-05
4.00E-05 3.97E-05
4.11E-05 4.08E-05
4.22E-05 4.19E-05
4.34E-05 4.31E-05
4.46E-05 4.43E-05
4.58E-05 4.56E-05
4.72E-05 4.69E-05
4.85E-05 4.83E-05
4.99E-05 4.97E-05
5.14E-05 5.11E-05
5.29E-05 5.27E-05
5.44E-05 5.42E-05
5.60E-05 5.59E-05
5.77E-05 5.75E-05
5.94E-05 5.92E-05
6.11E-05 6.10E-05
6.29E-05 6.28E-05
6.47E-05 6.46E-05
6.65E-05 6.65E-05 393 degrees ATDC

The rate of change in volume of the combustion chamber of the beare head is less than the rate of change of the fourstroke. with the upper piston retarded in its relationship by 20 degrees.
malbeare

A tidy mind not intelligent as it ignors the random opportunities of total chaos. Thats my excuse anyway
Malbeare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back