Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The difference between a Shunt Trip and a Trip Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

majesus

Electrical
Aug 16, 2007
SA
In Circuit Breaker applications, what is the difference between a Shunt Trip and a Trip Coil?

For instance in one 600V PDC drawing, I see that the relay which trips the 2000A secondary CB is labeled as "ST."

However, for the 4kV PDC drawing, I see that the relay coil that trips the 2000A secondary CB is labeled as "TC."

The intended purpose of both types is to trip the CB (that's easy! j/k)... But I'm curious, what is the difference between the two types?

Regards,
Maj

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To my knowledge they are one and the same. Usually "shunt trip" is a term used in low voltage, e.g. molded case, circuit breakers where it is commonly and add-on component. For power breakers, it is a standard component and is more commonly called a "trip coil".

A "trip coil" can be either :
- shunt trip coils : were the application of voltage causes the coil to trip the breaker
- an undervoltage trip coil : where removing the voltage causes the coil to trip the circuit breaker (or application of voltage of voltage is required to close and maintain the breaker closed)

A shunt trip is a voltage coil. Some trip coils may be current dependent.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Thank you guys... You know, I called the engineer who drew these drawings and asked him, because I am ALWAYS curious about these things and it will bug me until I learn why...

Like Aleham said, "shunt trip" is the term used in low voltage, e.g. molded case, circuit breakers where it is commonly an add-on component. The CB has thermal/magnetic trip capabilities, but it also has the ability to trip electronically say from a Feeder Protection Relay say like the GE SR750.

"Trip Coil" was used in reference to Power CB (in this case Medium CB.) The CB has no thermal/magnetic trip capabilities, it requires "brains" to tell it when to trip electronically from a monitoring relay such as the GE SR750 :)

Cheers,
Maj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back