Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

the elastic modulus of nylon6

Status
Not open for further replies.

candychan

Structural
Jun 18, 2003
CN
Hello,everyone

I am very happy to join this forum,and I am hoping to get more help from you and help you also.

Here I have a problem about the elastic modulus of nylon6.I have done some test to measure the elastic modulus,but the results have a big difference from the value in a paper.I am not sure about it.I will appreciate you help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The values on nylon will very from moisture content. We have found it difficult to reach moisture equilibrium with this material. This moisture problem effects size to a great degree.

I'd agree with the moisture comments.
Only test after a period such as 24h, semi-crystalline polymers such as nylon 6 can increase in crystalline content and properties such as E modulus can change as a consequence.
Ensure test geometry & test rate are the same as the literature values you are looking at.

Nylon 6 has a remarkable behavior in an overload condition like stall. In one gearbox application requiring stall tolerance, we were breaking acetal gears until we switched to Nylon 6. The teeth bend but do not break. We were not allowed the benefit of a slip clutch, but we used a quick acting current limiter in this DC motor application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back