Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The End of Mil-Hdbk-5 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys..

Anyone have a clue about FAA position on the use of CINDAS Aerospace Structural Metals Handbook [ASMH, 5-volume set]?? The ASMH has VERY detailed/authoriatative structural metals data that is supported by USAF and NASA.

Regards, Wil Taylor

I'm still trying to keep track of what's going on with Armpits, too. Seems an effort is afoot to remove the document from the public distribution.

Also, I noticed this in the Mil-Hdbk-5J cancellation document:

[ul]
[li]MIL-HDBK-5J, dated 31 January 2003, is hereby cancelled. Future acquisitions may refer to DOT/FAA/AR-MMPDS-01, “Metallic Materials Properties Development and Standardization (MMPDS),” but users are cautioned to evaluate this document for their particular application before using it as a replacement document.
[/li]
[/ul]

Regarding my statement from 30 September, has anybody evaluated the document, as the military suggests? Has anyone found any differences in allowable numbers, or the procedures used to determine them? I haven't.

PS, Wil, I haven't met "Cindy" yet. Is she related to ESDU?[smile]

Steven Fahey, CET

I just noticed that version 02 of the MMPDS is available from - a snip at $499. Seems a bit harsh. Anyone know where a free copy might be available? They've even removed the 01 version from the web as far as I can tell.

Will:

Re CINDAS ASMH -- By Cindas' own disclaimer, the data presented is 'typical' and not 'statistically derived design data' (ie, A- or B-basis data) and as such is a complement/supplement to the likes of MIL-HDBK-5. And while they also attempt to provide references to testing methods, etc., they also state some sources may be non-verifiable.

In my opinion, there is a considerable amount of data contained in the volumes usable for initial material selection, but mechanical properties data for detailed safety-of-flight design analysis is lacking.

As a DER I would highly prefer use of MIL-HDBK-5, MMPDS or ANC-5 before approving structure based on ASMH.

Russ Royal

MMPDS-02 is only available by purchasing at or 3rd party sites like matereality. Free copies are no longer available since this document is now copyrighted as detailed on the MMPDS website and in FAA notices.

Hi:

I have received an e-mail from the documentation people at my workplace that MMPDS-02 is not presently available for purchase because "it is confidential now". Is some of the content suspect/classified? I don't know; I have no further info.

Regards,
Louis

It's not a secret, it's not confidential, it's proprietary. You're supposed to pay for it now, where it used to be free. (Just like air, water and ***).

Steven Fahey, CET

Hi Steven:

Our documentation man stated clearly that it is not available for purchase and he used the word "confidential". Perhaps he's under pressure to restrict purchases and is bull*****ing me...

Louis

Is anyone going to protest by purchasing it and making it available for download?

Nigel Waterhouse B Eng (Hon's)
Can-Am Aerospace,LLC, Canadian Aircraft Certification Centre

Nigel:

While I'm not a lawyer, I think the legal name for what you propose is "copyright infringement"..

I have Mil-Hdbk 5 you can download it for free. Does anybody know where we can download ESDU 00932?
I also have to compute B-basis allowables. I did it on my side based on Chap. 9 of Mil-Hbdk 5. Does anybody if there is preexiting spreadsheet available?

Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back