Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The future of entry level jobs and U.S. engineers 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharp21

Electrical
Oct 30, 2008
US

I graduated with a BSEE in 2007 and am having a hard time finding an entry level engineering job.

Whether it's on job sites or a company's careers page, there's practically no entry level jobs available.

I've read that outsourcing and automation are the main problem (due to cheaper labor) and will unlikely go away.

Will the future of U.S. engineers be comprised of mainly h1b workers?

If there are no entry level jobs for U.S. graduates then how can they even begin a career?

If India and China were 1st world countries, would finding an entry level job still be as difficult?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you know that could make your potential employer money? If the list is short or small, then consider graduate school or self study for the most common assignments. (Grounding grid design, lighting protection, conductor specifications and motor control center design).

I imagine that engineers who don't know how to use a search function will always find it hard to find a job.

Do you really think my job can be replaced by a machine?

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

If I'm not mistaken, the annual output of engineers from the U.S. is about 80,000 compared to close to 400,000 for both India and China. Although these numbers are daunting, most American companies complain of extreme shortages of U.S. engineers forcing them to look overseas for more talent.

I would advise that you look into your University's job placement services, which tend to be good at matching companies with entry level engineers.

Also, I think if you're willing to move anywhere in the country with no distinctive geographic area, you should be able to land a job. No doubt the economy is getting tough, but thinking outside the box, getting more education under your belt or simply trying different career paths are all viable solutions to job market problems.

Best of luck!

Kyle

Kyle Chandler

"To the Pessimist, the glass is half-empty. To the Optimist, the glass is half-full. To the Engineer, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!"

"h1b workers"

The chip on your shoulder is dripping.

I have been an H1B worker. I was paid the same as any native American (can I use that word?) engineer, no cost-cutting there. What is your problem?

- Steve

On careerbuilder.com I find 410 engineering jobs from the last 30 days using the search string "entry level electrical". Took me about 1 minute. I don't think H1B's and automation are your problem.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but I'm not going to go out of my way to sound nice.

How many resumes have you sent out? Were they all the same? Did you tailor any of them to the specific positions you applied for? Have you let anyone (especially someone with experience) proofread your resume?

Do you even know what you want, or are you just trolling for any entry level gig? Blind wanderers never do well in job searches.

If all you are doing is clicking the "Submit Resume" button on job sites, you will find that you will have plenty of time to continue doing that without being interrupted by gainful employment. Makes some calls, hit the bricks, every day all day.

sharp21: don't blame the H1B system- at least it exists, and requires the employers to do some dancing about to prove that they can't find the people they need in the local marketplace.

In Canada there is no H1B system. We use the so-called "human capital model" of immigration- bring 'em in and let the economy sort 'em out. Many entry level positions get snapped up by "experienced" recent immigrants whose alternative is driving a taxi. This was hard enough on both the fresh grads and the recent immigrants in good economic times- imagine what it has the potential to become in the coming recession, when the Alberta tarsands boom finally busts and all the ex-pat Ontarians come home looking for work...

It's not all doom and gloom. Unemployment is still pretty low in the US in historical terms. Not to "blame the victim" here, but it sounds like you either need to widen your search area or take some job readiness/job search training. I don't know you or your particular circumstances so I could be completely wrong, but most of the people I meet that are completely unable to find engineering work as fresh grads are really saying that they're unwilling to relocate.

I disagree and think that entry level engineering positions are abundant and not to hard to find. I am will be graduating here in december as a mechanical engineer and already have a job lined up.

I have had it for 6 months and never worked for the company before.

I think as a student you have to put yourself out there. I am by no means even close a 4.0 (try 3.0). I did two interships and a Co-op and still graduated in 4.5 years..

Anyways sorry for the self ranting. I think if you search and start calling companies you will find one. DON'T settle with submitting your resume online. Call them and talk with someone.

I think TheTick said it the best.."Makes some calls, hit the bricks, every day all day."

In case you didn't get Gregs subtle point...

This type of question comes up regularly, do a search of this site rather than trying to get a bunch of new responses.

In fact I'm pretty sure I answered a similar question just a few days ago.

Sure the search functionality of the site search isn't great but the google search of this site works OK and should get you headed in the right direction.

To get the most out of this site I suggest you take a look at the 2 links in my signature line.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

I have a one word answer for you: networking.

In this day and age, "pounding the pavement" looking for a job is an inefficient waste of time. In my experience it is also utterly useless in finding a job. In 15 years I have rarely ever been contacted by a company that I cold submitted a resume to, and out of those few that called me, none of them ever offered me a job.

Every professional position I have ever held I got through some sort of "connection". I put almost no effort into job searching because I network effectively and use the tools available to me.

My first job out of school was for a major defense company. They had just won a huge contract and were conducting on-campus interviews. I also had three other job interviews before I graduated. All of these interviews were through the school office of career development. Even after graduation, I used the office of career development to land a couple of other jobs. I have also held two positions that I got working through a recruiter.

So here is my advice:

If you haven't done so already, get your resume on file with the career development office at the school you went to.

Talk to professors that you had a good relationship with. Tell them that you are looking for a job. They may have leads.

Do you keep in touch with any former classmates? Are they employed? Tell them that you are looking for a job and maybe they can pass along your resume. This could be a win-win situation, as many companies offer referral bonuses to their employees.

Do you belong to any professional societies? They can also be a valuable network for your job search.

Post your resume on various job sites. HR managers and recruiters are out there every day reviewing resumes.

Contact a recruiter or two.

Are you a member of any engineering networking sites?

I certainly do feel for the recent engineering grads. It's bad enough that the economy is slow right now, but recent graduates are facing a new challenge: global competition. I don't know how H1B entered into this topic, since by my understanding they get paid the same as an American doing the job. The real threat to US engineers is foreign engineers working for US companies overseas. In countries such as China and India the engineers are willing to work for a fraction of what engineers here make.

Entry level engineers are usually assigned to do rote and menial work. Sending this work to India or China looks very appealing to the corporate bean counters. My former employer moved its entire sustaining engineering department to India. You certainly don't need any special skills to process ECNs, and it is cheaper to have an engineer making 7K a year do it than one making 50K.

"In this day and age, "pounding the pavement" looking for a job is an inefficient waste of time. "

I beg to differ. So far the jobs that I go thru out the years have been at job fairs. However, networking has benefited me be way of promotions. But for a young kid just coming out, hitting the bricks and networking is your best way of finding that first job. My first job I went to Delaware for a job fair and landed a job in Massachusetts and I’m from New York. That’s another thing; you have to be ok with relocation. You have to go where the work is or stagnate.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

For the figuratively impaired: "Pound the pavement" means more than hitting the road and knocking on doors. It also definitely means more than hitting "Submit Resume" button on your favorite job website. It means looking for ways to reveal more opportunities.

Everyone looks in the easy places. Thats why the treasure is already gone from them.

I will second the advice of being willing to relocate for your first job. At my first job I worked with entry level engineers from all over the country. After a year or two of experience, many of them left for jobs back where they came from.

You don't need to look at relocation as a permanamet thing. Do whatever it takes to get your foot in the door somewhere and then you will be more free to be choosy once you have built up your resume.

For the record, by pounding the pavement I meant pouring over the want ads or cold calling compaines, or the modern equivalent of hitting the submit button over and over again on your favorite job site.

The way I look at it, if your resume gets to HR through the usual channels, you are often finished before you even get started. Having a connection, even it is as simple as having your resume passed along by a recruiter or your University will give you a leg up.

I also figure that by working with a recruiter or posting my resume online to be viewed I won't waste time and only be dealing with compaines who have an interest in what I have to offer.

sharp21, Electrical engineering ...especially the embedded systems and electronics /communications/ fpga development field sis a tough one to find a job in and has been like that since 2001. My best advice for you is to look very hard and move to other cities e.t.c. Also try to focus more on jobs that cannot be outsourced i.e. jobs in factories and/or heavy industries......

If you're still having trouble finding work....do not go to grad school....look for a new career instead....grad school for those that do not want to pursue an academic career is a waste if time and money....

You can create a profile on the attached link. It's a networking site and you can connect with past co-workers or people you went to school with (if they are on the site). What I have noticed is there are tons of HR recruiters for companies with profiles on the site, just for the purpose of looking for potential hirees. It costs nothing to set up a profile and will provide another avenue for job postings / networking. The more avenues you have to search and the more contacts you make during your job hunt, the better.

http://www.linkedin.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back