Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The future of handheld scientific and graphing calculators (or pen + paper, for that matter) 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNORGY

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2005
CA
I had a few days off over the holidays, so passing the time in front of NFL football and World Junior hockey on TV (-25 C outside...), I started transferring iPad apps onto my new iPad Air. While doing this, I decided to search for new apps that emulate graphing calculators. I now have four such on both iPads: RCL-59 (TI-59), i41CX+ (HP-41CX), i48 (HP-48GX) and HP50G (HP-50g).

I went through university using a TI-59, and I have never been converted to the RPN cult, which gave rise to the purchase of my post-university calculators, both TI: a TI-81 and the one I use now, a TI-89 Titanium. In light of that, and perhaps because I am now in a physical and cerebral midlife crisis, I rationalized that having the three HP emulators wouldn't do me much good without having the original calculator manuals, so I found and downloaded all of them in PDF format - in aggregate, thousands of pages of documentation. Feeling nostalgic, I decided to pick up my TI-89-T and teach myself how to program it, which is something I always wanted to do but never took the time. I hooked it up to the PC and refreshed myself with the associated TI Connect software and various user documentation. After an evening spent between that and doing some on-line web searching related to a gamut of pseudo-related topics, I came across some articles and points of view that were thought-provoking and somewhat disturbing.

There is a rapidly growing camp that shares the opinion that handheld calculators of any kind are already obsolete, and have been for about a decade. But for the fact that educators mandate their use (by association, forbid the use of iPads, iPhones, PDA devices and certain models of scientific / graphing handhelds) on examinations, there would no longer be a market for them. More disturbing was the suggestion that Texas Instruments has been able to gain and maintain the vast majority of the market share by working collaboratively with educators and textbook authors to implement an educational system in which the course material in math and science curriculae is integrated with their technology, indeed to the point where you need one in order to succeed in the other. It is further suggested that this alone will perpetuate the necessity and, therefore, existence of calculators (particularly TI calculators) long beyond what would otherwise spell their demise. This might explain why you don't find a lot of TI calculator apps for the iPad or iPhone, since it wouldn't make a lot of sense to spend several hundreds of dollars on a device when an equivalent app could be purchased for 5% of the cost.

I personally like calculators. I like the look and feel of them, and I like the fact that they do exactly what they are designed to do (for the most part - bugs aside). I like picking up a pencil, ruler, eraser and calculation paper pad and solving a problem, using a calculator to the extent required in support of this endeavour. However, I have an iPad at work with numerous good apps installed - Math Studio for example - that replaces a lot of the functionality that my calculator used to have. I also have a PC workstation with two big screens and MS Office. I am now in a mode at work where most of the time I spend pushing buttons on my TI-89-T is in a conference room in design review meetings; even then, I often pull out my iPhone for unit conversions because using the app is faster than pushing the buttons on the calculator.

My question is twofold (threefold maybe):

After graduating from school, are handheld calculators worthless due to their apparent obsolescence relative to emerging technologies?

For that matter, is the combination of "calculation paper + pencil + eraser + ruler + calculator" obsolete and worthless?

With the increased use of and dependence on current and emerging technologies, are we still nevertheless educating students and producing practitioners that "can do the math" rather than simply "correctly enter the data" and, if indeed we are, then are folks like me who still "go retro" and "do things Old School" becoming more worthless and obsolete?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The comment wasn't directed at me, I think, but memory is pretty fuzzy. Got an A and a 5 on the AP test, so probably wasn't me. But, he used the term a lot, both in that class and in the electronics class I also took from him.

His other favorite pithy saying was "intuitively obvious to the meanest of intelligences," because the author of the text would gloss over certain concepts as if they were so obvious that they didn't need any explanation at all.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

We had a memorable Hungarian prof in 1st year who did a whole series of lessons about unit systems, how arbitrary they were, and how to develop unit conversions between them. He did this by constructing an entire unit system based on hell, notably measuring temperatures in degrees Hellcius which were based on the melting and boiling points of sulphur (which I believe were 0 and 666 degrees Hellcius...).

I have over 1000 views on how to get the HP48GX ON button working again on youtube, so someone is using these antiques.

For reports we submit, some cities want the calcs done by hand and others want it done in a spreadsheet. What I do notice is that plan checkers don't check hand calcs but they do check computer spit out calcs. I started to just make some of the calcs into apps on my phone, so I could quickly plug and chug the numbers in a meeting. That slowly got me away from bringing a calculator around, and now when I need a calculator I pull up the DROID48 app. My business partner prefers using excel for everything, and won't use the calculator anymore. One of my structural professors said everyone stop using calculators and learn to do the math in your head. The only person that has impressed is my fiance.

Looking at my desk I know exactly what came from a past company, as they all have a little sticker with my name on them. Pencils, scales, calculators, triangles, lettering guides, etc. We weren't supplied with anything so my desk was a good place to get it, especially the owners of all people. If I was to take a guess, a small tablet or larger phone can take the place of a lot of that stuff most of the time. Just got a stylus for my phone/tablet to write notes, do calcs and draw sketches on.

B+W Engineering and Design | Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back