Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The greatest issue I've ever faced 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

KutEng

Structural
May 27, 2019
AU
For the life of me, I can never remember the names of contractors I meet on-site during inspections. I'm pretty good when it comes to architects and clients as I will usually correspond with them via email before formally meeting them however when it comes to builders and foremen I forget their names a sentence after they introduce themselves.

Any advice on how you guys go about remembering names?? I think people are beginning to notice I don't know their names after the 6th "Hey mate" in a row.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't be afraid to ask them their name again. They understand. Just do it right away.

Then remember it. Associate it with someone else you know with that name, then imagine them as that person.

My brother sold me my car
My cousin Larry is roofing my house
There are just too many Bob's in this world
My dad is the foreman
My roommate took my order

Sometimes it is harder, but you get good at it.
Today there was a guy maned Brent. I don't know any. But he was with a guy named Brian, so right away I remember BB
Brian I can remember because he lived down the street and got hit by a train. So what name is hard to remember that I don't know and begins with B? Oh yeah, Brent. Sometimes it's easier to remember if it is nonsensical. I look at them and it's easy to remember BB.

Something that I've suffered my entire life. And it's not like I have a hard time recalling past events or incidents, it's just names where I draw blanks. For example, there are people at church whom I know I know because I've socialized with them including on weekend retreats and other church related activities, yet when I see them at Mass, I can't for the life of me remember their names, neither their first nor last. It can be really embarrassing at times.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

When you meet them take the time to talk to them, using their name in every sentence. For example:

Bob have you worked in the plant before?
Bob do you live nearby?
Bob what certifications does your crew have?
Etc.
Etc.

Say his name at least 5 times. Take an interest in them.

It works!

Good Luck,
Latexman

Glad to hear I’m not alone. Never been good with names. One time at one of the mills we worked for, a Mechanical Engineer I had been previously introduced to, greets me and my drafter and says “I know you’re here on another job but look me up before you leave as I have another job I need you to bid on”.

After we finished our measurements and are looking through their existing drawings, I tell my drafter that I don’t remember the engineer’s name, but I know he worked at our company before he took the job at the mill and before either of us worked there.

The drafter said we should call the office and talk with one of the senior drafters to get his name. My phone was in the car. Fortunately, she had hers and we got his name and were then able to find his office and ultimately get another job.

gjc

I think there needs to be a rule put in place that either all tradies have the same name, or none of them do.

Too many Bobs, Marks, Jims, Steves, etc.

Too little variety that each name belongs to an individual, too much variety to be able to remember them all

What's worse is when you see someone that you worked with for 15 or 20 years, but haven't seen for a couple years, and you can't remember their name.

I suffer similarly, but have found Latexman's suggestion of using their name regularly does help quite a bit. I also make a point of handing out business cards, which in turn gets me a surprising number from tradesmen and also helps the memory.

Happens to me all the time.
I grew up with a father who was an insufferable Dale Carnegie training advocate. One of my more useful takeaways was to learn how to pleasantly ask.

Gosh, I'm so embarrassed. I can't recall your name. What was it again?
Ah, of course! Jim!
Bear with me, Jim. God loves stupid engineers, and I'm stupider than most.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

I suffer the same problem. But most of the time, I might meet 15 to 30 individuals on a training or trouble shooting mission and not meet them again for months or years. While they know me, I sometimes fail to even remember their faces, let alone their names.

weldstan said:
...I might meet 15 to 30 individuals on a training or trouble shooting mission and not meet them again for months or years. While they know me, I sometimes fail to even remember their faces, let alone their names.

I had the same issue, only more so. On a regular basis, I would interact with hundreds of customers at conferences, where I was often a presenter, or at trade shows where we would host seminars and workshops. And then there were the customer visits. And on top of that, the last three or four years before I retired, we started to post 'What's new' videos on YouTube (many of them are still there) and my recognition factor went through the roof, just that I never got to know even a small percentage of the people out there who actually KNEW me, and who would stop and talk to me, expecting that I would know them.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Have your clip board out at the start and write as you listen to the rest of what they have to say. Helps me later remember what was said too. You can also listen for others to address the person later. Aside from those I've never gotten a negative reaction to saying "sorry, I didn't catch your name...?".

Bill

In a meeting I try to sketch the table and names relative to seat positions as introductions are done. I can usually remember visually who sat where and then compare vs my sketch to get their name.

In the real world I try and shoehorn their name into whatever I say immediately after they introduce themselves..."Ok Bob, good to meet you. So about this thing...". If possible I'll make a connection with someone else I know with the same name. He looks like just like Bob Dylan, or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back