Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The greatest issue I've ever faced 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

KutEng

Structural
May 27, 2019
AU
For the life of me, I can never remember the names of contractors I meet on-site during inspections. I'm pretty good when it comes to architects and clients as I will usually correspond with them via email before formally meeting them however when it comes to builders and foremen I forget their names a sentence after they introduce themselves.

Any advice on how you guys go about remembering names?? I think people are beginning to notice I don't know their names after the 6th "Hey mate" in a row.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In SOME cases, when I forget, I'll ask, "Can I have the correct spelling of your first and last name? (...so often people spell their names different to be unique)."

Otherwise, like FACS said, "Don't be afraid to ask them their name again. They understand." In most cases they will actually feel better being around you because you ARE the type of comfortable and easy-going, non-political person who is also a human being, just like them. It ALSO shows that you genuinely CARE about relationships, showing an interest in THEM!

Wanna use a dose of reverse-psychology? Even if you DO remember their name, ask them anyway! (In the right environment, with the "right"... "real"... "people") It actually DOES form a trace of bonding with the individual.

People like being around... "Real"... "People"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back