Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The materials less traveled 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savorra

Automotive
Aug 10, 2013
I was wondering what were some alternative materials used in engine block construction other than the typical Iron and Aluminum. In particular I was doing research into the TVR Speed Twelve Engine. I am sure TVR utilized Aluminum heads and while the heads would suffer from Galvanization corrosion if they came into contact. I was wondering if the microscopic flakes of steel floating in coolant passages will negatively affect the aluminum heads in the long run. I would also like to know if anyone had tried something similar in developing a Steel alloy engine block like the Speed 12 and if their are anymore information on the engine construction process.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mike, I think your "limited data" may be a German thing. Porsches, VWs, et al have plastics that seem to be formulated to self-destruct at right around 20 - 25 years, and not just crack, they totally crumble. My visor clips crumbled like cornbread within days of each other. I wonder if it isn't some "green" thing?

On the other hand, my '52 Ford truck still has original plastic knobs and such that have weathered the high desert (ozone- and UV-rich) environment while barely fading. (They aren't bakelite, either) But there is precious little plastic to begin with.

BTW, to the original topic, Ford made V8's in the early '30's that had sheet metal sides on the blocks, riveted on as I recall. Not entirely a successful idea, but I'm sure it made coring the molds a breeze.

I believe Germany has a government mandated disassembly/ recycle program that pretty much requires post-consumer content in new cars and also requires labeling individual parts with a type code for the resin.

... but I don't think that's responsible for the crumbling plastics; I think the German engineers just sort of prefer 'high performance' materials of all kinds, and in the case of plastics, that means they're working with essentially no real historical data when they specify the latest/greatest. They need to spend more time in junkyards...

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I remember a show when I was younger called "Beyond Tomorrow." One of the episodes dealt in part with an engine that was made from ceramic. I distinctly recall the host lugging the engine block onto a table and then talking about it, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember much else. I want to say that it was a big-three prototype, and since we still haven't seen ceramic blocks, it either didn't work or answered a question nobody had asked.

Mike, interesting comment about junk yard time. When my one time employer was looking to change master cylinders from cast iron to aluminum, a couple of engineers scoured the junkyards and obtained aluminum master cylinders from the various makes and models. Then we did a lot of analysis to identify the base alloys and protective coatings employed.

Further to the Merc.W 196 engine being "built up" I have a very good set of photographs of the W196[in a magazine]appears to fabricated but what I thought to ask was the cylinder liners have 1000,s of those little speck "holes" on the running surface, I mistakenly thought those somehow connected with the "Nikrasil" process [spelling] and then saw them again in some Porsche barrels. Purpose?lube retention perhaps? BTY plastic parts in VW cars in sunny RSA not doing too well, seems as said in previous posts that UV or something is causing failure. Seem to recall a soft covered book on how to fabricate an engine, sorry age and therefore memory are fading hope this is not too far off the subject.

I remember, back around 1989/90, reading a car magazine article, which demonstrated why the science hitherto known as metallurgy, was being renamed materials science. I suppose it's merely an evolutionary labelling process that began with the shaman, and worked it's way across alchemy.

In addition to the aforementioned Nikasil process, it claimed that Honda were working with various non-metallic additives to their Aluminium blocks. I cannot recall if they specifically pointed to carbon or ceramic "fibers" being an admixture in the casting material.

Best,
B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back