Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The maximum cable length between converter transformer and VSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keorc

Electrical
Oct 15, 2003
CN
There are 4 set 4.16KV VSD (ABB ACS1000) in my subtation.
Since the convter transfomer is oil type, it had been installed on the ground outside substation. The cable length between converter transformer and VSD is about 90m.
But we had been informed by the ABB that the maximum length should be 30m.
It is impossible to change the cable routing now, I am anxiously waiting for the ABB's solution
My question is, if the cable length is greater than 30m, what kind of the seiours consequence will be?
I am looking forward to the suggestions and solutions of the VSD experts, thanks!

---------------------------------
Converter transformer
input : 4.16kv
output: 2x2300v
vector group: 3wdg:Dy11d0

VSD:
Rectifier: Diode Bridge
number of pules: 12
input: 2x2300v
output: 4000v

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is the input side of the VFD. And it is a passive diode bridge (or two, rather). Someone goofed and told you horror stories.

Cable length *can* be a problem between motor and VFD, or if there is an AFE with switching rectifier on the input. No reason to worry about the transformer-VFD cable length in this case. You can sleep well at nights.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

ABB would need to answer that question and given that the ACS1000 is now obsolete I can imagine they are less than helpful out of the gate. You may need to push them harder to respond appropriately. I can imagine that cable capacitance might begin to be an issue, the result of which may be a loss of peak current into the bridges because you are losing current capacity as charging current in each pulse. That's just a guess though to be honest.

"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals" -- Booker T. Washington

Less than 100 m. Non-switched, pure sinewave. No, cannot be a problem. If it were, there would be tight specifications on transformer uk, which is a lot more than any cable voltage drop. Never seen that as a problem.

Don't worry. Be happy. Sleep well at nights.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Thanks, jraef ,Skogsgurra
ABB suggested to place a Common mode choke in the VSD panel, they will provided technical clarification in next week.
We still dont know the exact reason...

It sounds as if a sales person has looked at the output cable spec and mistakenly applied it to the input cable.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

I agree, a CM Choke is something you would put on the output side. Are you speaking with a Tech Support Engineer or a Salesman?

I'm betting Salesman...

"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals" -- Booker T. Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back