Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The minimum allowable temperature for SA 516-70N 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

etsen

Mechanical
Sep 11, 2006
CN
Could anyone tell me the minimum allowable temperature for SA 516-70N and what standards or code I can refer to? Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should refer to ASME VIII Div.1 UCS-66 to see if impact test is required (Curve D for SA-516 Grade 70 Normalized)
Generally carbon steel is no "adequate" for temperatures below -29ºC (-20ºF), but SA-516 if normalized has good working below that temperature.
For example, if temperature is -48ºC(-55ºF) or less you will need to make impact test for any thickness you have.
For other temparutes it depends of the thicknes. Please, have a look in the code.

Take note that independtly of the material and impact test you have for shell and heads (assuming you are talking about a pressure vessel...) you must considere material used for nozzles and flanges.

It depends on the application as well. The ASME B&PV Code has specifications on when plate may be used at various temperatures, but the various tank standards have differing requirements.

JStephen is right. It dependes on the application, I was supposing your question was for a pressure vessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back