Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The process needs to change 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mloew

Automotive
Apr 3, 2002
US
I thought you might enjoy my rant in reply to an article in Machine Design Magazine:

Changes in the Engineering Profession Over 80 Years

I'm compelled to offer an opinion I have about the engineering process. Many years ago, before CAD became commonplace, the engineering process began with engineers developing the products, starting at the system level, with heavy use of models and calculations based on engineering fundamentals to guide the design. It was only much later in the process when 'draftsmen' became involved to render the product so it could be manufactured.

Today, most product is created in CAD as 3D solid models and this geometry is used to simulate the performance with FEA, CFD, etc. and the design is iterated until management is happy with the performance. Final drawings are created off of the CAD model (a real time saver).

Although CAD and the other modeling and simulations tools like FEA have allowed for more rapid and robust performance simulation, it is an iterative process that allows for designs to have been based on created geometry rather than sound, engineering-based design concepts. I believe however there is a significant rush to start modeling too early and often by those without the specific expertise in the functional areas for the system. I'm not saying that CAD should be abandoned, but conceptual development of the system should be considered and developed before significant solid modeling resources are committed to the design realization process. I think it is a great shame that many engineering organizations believe it is acceptable to replace engineering fundamentals and systems expertise with an iterative approach. We have moved from engineer-develop-design (drawings)-build-test-produce to a system of render-simulate-iterate-design (draw)-build-test-produce. The result in many cases is that simulate-iterate approach is the engineering process. It is not. Let's not get lazy with engineering just because we can make good looking designs in CAD early and can quickly make colorful stress plots in FEA.

I'd like to see a marriage of the traditional approach that harnesses the best of engineering expertise and the utilization of engineering fundamentals with the power of the tools we have at our disposal.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One of the problems in industry is that the term designer is actually applied to anyone that uses CAD. I've asked people in interviews if they were a CAD Operator or a Designer. They always say "Designer" even when the results of the remainder of the interview prove to me otherwise. The situation will not change until employers stop mixing the two up and stop tolerating design engineering to be conducted by those with no design or engineering skills but have demonstrated the ability to operate CAD systems.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

mloew,

That is no different from all those people who adopt the title "engineer". Your job ad has to list a set of qualifications. Training in SolidWorks, and a body temperature in excess of 36[°]C is not sufficient.

Critter.gif
JHG

Drawoh,

Correct. I didn't hire any of them. Plus, I refused to work with the contracting company that screened them! Failed by HR, Management, and the recruiters. Sad story.

This runs us back full circle to my original statement about management must take responsibility for ensuring that there is a process in place that puts the right people in the right roles at the right time.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back