Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The "-" in the BOM is not showing up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatnact

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2006
US
I was wondering if there was a way to have the "-" show up in the BOM for dimensions. I can do it i just have to go into every part that we have ever created and change it to override and that fixes the problem. I want to fix all of them at the same time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If by "-" you mean the dash between the feet and inches dimensions, It comes in fine for me using SW07-SP4.

What are you using?

How are you adding the property to the BOM?

[cheers]

No and no. There is a tab when you select a dim. that sais other. Whe you select this tab there is a check box next to it that reads Override Units. When you select that check box and go back to the drawing it will have the dash. I am guessing that the default for the dims. is set without the dash and when it converts 2007 to 2008 it converts it this way, and we are wanting to not convert them this way.

OK, now I'm totally confused. I can understand why you may want dimension columns in a BOM, but why on earth would you want to place a dash/hyphen in them? If you don't need the dimensions, eliminate the column. If you don't need them for certain parts, then eliminate the property from those parts.

Either I'm completely missing something or you're not explaining the whole story. Can you please explain further?

[cheers]

ok you are totally confused. I am talking about when you create a new part, you put dims on a sketch, then you extrude, revolve, loft, ect., then when that is finished you go to file then properties and add a description. One example might be for a piece 1/2" plate that is 2'-4" long by 1'-8" long with holes in it. We would call it out as "PL. 1/2", 2'-4" X 1'8" LG. PER DETAIL" and now it is calling it out as "PL. 2'4" X 1'8" LG. PER DETAIL" and this may not sound like a big deal but it is our higher ups.

Are you linking the dimension values into the description property? If so, do the dimensions appear with the - in the drawing of the part?

or

Are you manually typing the dimensions into the description and the - is disappearing when description is displayed in the BoM?

Eric

I can make it appear by checking the override box. the problem is we are going to have to do this for all old drawings and that is going to take up some time. Yes they are linked and they are not disapearing they just dont come into the drawing when we open the drawings up in SW2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back