Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Term "Switchgear" 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has0n

Electrical
Mar 10, 2009
PH
Why is it that a Switchgear is called as Switchgear? Literally, is there a "mechanical gear" on the equipment?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Likely yes there is some mechanical gearing or at least a reduction gearbox, but that's not the reason for the name. One meaning of 'Gear' is broadly equivalent to 'equipment'. Why they chose 'gear' I just don't know - it's a choice made many years ago - but it does roll off the tongue fairly easily.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

My understanding is - it definitely built with some gears, e.g. spring charging components for energy storage to close or open the breaker without electric power. Some have grounding switch and interlocking mechanism.

Use of the word "gear" is not limited to mechanical gear. Even personal protective items like helmets, pads, gloves etc. are called sports protective "gear". It is in the similar vain.

Not to add too much fire to the flame, but what is the significant difference between metalclad switchgear and metal-enclosed switchgear?

How did it the difference in terms evolve?

metal clad = circuit breaker gear
metal enclosed = load interrupter fusible switch gear

How they evolved, I do not know. Maybe someone selected one of the two names and then had a hard time thinking of something to call the other.

Alan
----
"It’s always fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

If the Brits would have gotten there first it would have been called switchkit. Maybe it is because one of their early electrical pioneers was a yankee; Charlie Brush from Cleveland.

rmw

Metal-clad: each individual breaker cell is encased (clad) in metal, then the cell itself is inside of another metal enclosure. Individual cells can be disconnected from the bus for safety or completely removed for servicing without affecting the rest of the line-up. So if you need to do maintenance or repairs on a unit cell, the rest of the plant can keep running. If a failure occurs in a cell, it provides a significantly reduced risk of collateral damage to adjacent equipment. Stackable cells and rear cable connections reduces the linear space requirements, but the rear connected bus structure requires a lot of depth. So Metal Clad is the choice for highest availability, but bears the highest capital cost.

Metal Enclosed: (as opposed to what, wood?) there is only one switching device in each structure section. There is no removable cell, so if maintenance or repairs need to be done to a unit, the entire line-up must be shut down because of the risk to exposed common bus bars. This means they are not really suitable for critical equipment that must be kept running while other units are being serviced. Faults are still isolated, but damaged units mean shutting down the entire line-up to replace or repair them. With only one device per section, a lot of switching devices takes up a lot of linear (wall) space. Initial capital costs are however lower.

There are twists and exceptions to these generalities and new designs seem to be blurring the lines but that is the gist of it.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back