Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The USA: energy self sufficiency - political myth or reality? 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmw

Industrial
Jun 27, 2001
GB
I don't want this to be political, as this isn't what this site is about. This is purely to ask you all as expert engineers just how the USA can become energy self-sufficient i.e. no longer dependent on outside oil.

This, it would appear, is one of the poiltical claims of the democratic presidential contender, that he will make the USA self-sufficient.

OK, sure, he can say to the Californians, sorry, but we need your offshore oil. But what, practically can he do and what will be the consequences either of him doing it, or trying to do it?

Of course, if I have misunderstood him, please tell me so. I'd hate to vote for the wrong loony.

JMW
Eng-Tips: Pro bono publico, by engineers, for engineers.

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hear hear. the politicians are in a better position to put a dent in this "fix" than any scientist/engineer.. unfortunately politicians are stupid-- so they shuffle themselves around every 4 years hoping that nobody will notice how stupid they truely are.

If we had the ability to capture all the hot air that our politicians exhaust daily we wouldn't have an energy dependence problem. Another reason to keep the filibuster.

IMO, public transportation is just as safe as driving. on one hand you have the thugs that ride public transportation but on the other you have road rage...take your pick.

Public transit here is far safer than driving. We had a fatal subway accident here in Toronto a few years ago and there was a major inquiry afterward, yet there were more people killed on the city's expressways that day and they didn't even make the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back