Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The Use of Clay Bricks for Steel Reinforcing Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

pricklyPete

Structural
May 14, 2004
US
I am currently working on a project where the contractor wants to use clay bricks to support the bottom mat of reinforcing (They are actually shale bricks with test breaks well above 10,000 psi).

I was told early in my career that clay bricks should not be used to support rebar because they will expand if they become wet and crack the concrete. I can understand the concern when the clay bricks are in direct contact with the soil.

However, in this case, the bricks do not sit on the soil. They sit on a lean concrete mud mat that is roughly 2" to 3" in thickness, which should help to protect the bricks from moisture. This foundation is very large and the support bricks are spaced far enough away from the edges such that blowing out the sides of the concrete due to expansion is not a likely possibility.

I am aware that ACI says that reinforcement supports should be of either concrete, steel, or plastic material. What I am wondering is if anyone sees any issues with using clay (or shale) bricks in this particuluar scenario?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look if you want to take the risk to save the contractor a very small amount then go ahead but just remember that you are taking the risk and they are reaping the benefit.

I bet theres other reasons not stated why they are not used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back