Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The Wind Rises 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawoh

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2002
CA
I just watched this on cable. If you are interested in movies on engineering, I strongly recommend this.

--
JHG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have found these "mocumentorys" make a lot of mistakes, but; I often watch them for the visuals . Keep in mind some ignorant liberal arts majors wrote the scripts, produced, and directed them.

blacksmith37,

The Wind Rises is an animated cartoon about Jiro Horikoshi, the designer of Mitsubishi fighter planes during WWII. I don't know how well they understood the engineering, and I don't know how carefully they researched Jiro Horikoshi. The story is fictionalized quite a bit, according to Wikipedia.

There is an interesting discussion about what happens to our stuff after we design it.

--
JHG

I don't see the movie link, either... but I'm getting used to not seeing pictures and such that people include in their posts. Company filter is my guess.

ôKnow the rules well, so you can break them effectively.ö
-Dalai Lama XIV

I don't think there was a posted link to the movie being discussed, given that the OP "just watched this on CABLE."

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

If only there were some kind of software or maybe web based service that would allow one to search such things as a movie title and find out all about them.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Rotten Tomatoes? IMDB? Wikipedia?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

KENAT,

There is lots of stuff on the internet about this movie. You can search on Jiro Horikoshi, Mitsubisihi A5M, and Mitsubishi A6M will do it. The only thing that is hard to find is the movie itself. It got positive reviews, but it disappeared from the theatres here in Toronto in about a week. I watched it on a pay per view channel.

--
JHG

Gotta ask management about a sarcasm button ;-)

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

I got the DVD for Christmas. I enjoyed the movie but wish there was more flying. Miyazaki always does a good job with flying.

I got to explain to my son what a slide rule is.

I wonder if the bit about the fish bones was accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back