Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thermal Analysis and Free Convection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpfmarvin

Mechanical
Jun 14, 1999
US
I am developing a few simple thermal models to evaluate some specific steady-state characteristics; I am using a linear FEA program.<br>
<br>
When setting the boundary conditions, I would like to include the free convection coefficients at appropriate edges. If I do not include convention, the outer boundaries will act as insulated surfaces, which may be fine for material comparisons, etc.<br>
<br>
Most of the models are analyzed in ambient air. To determine the convection coefficient (h), I have been using closed-book forms for various geometry and calculating the Rayleigh’s number, Nusselt’s number, etc. for each different surface. Calculating (h) for each side can be cumbersome.<br>
<br>
I would be interested in learning of any techniques used by experienced modelers. Thanks. <br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did something similar where I had to analyze a fin. If you take an element and write the differential energy equation for it and just substitute in boundary conditioons where necessaary you should be fine. If you need further help, I may still have tha paper that went a long with my analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back