Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thermal analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

albert1981

Feb 16, 2007
GB
Dear all,

I would like to make a thermal analysis by inputting a tempreature as a load and see the following distribution of stresses. When I create a new step I choose the option to make a coupled temperature-displacement analysis which give the option to choose some heat flux rather then a simple temperature. Should I change element if so which kind of elements I must use in order to apply both a mechanical load and a thermal load.

Thanks in advance,

Albert

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Temperatures are applied as you would a displacement. If there's no need then don't use a coupled thermal-displacement analysis but run two seperate analyses and save the temperatures to input into your stress analysis as a field in the load module.

corus

Dear Corus,

I input the temperature as a predefined field in the initial step and then let propagates in the other steps but is not influencing the analysis. The stress analysi is the same as the temperature is not been inputted. What i am doing wrong?

thanks,
Albert

Hi Albert.

I usually run very simple thermal analyses, so I'm not sure if this will solve your problem. But this is what I usually do when investigating effects of thermal expansion:

- insert *Expansion followed by CTE value under the *Material card (you can do this in the gooey (Your Mat Name --> Mechanical --> Expansion --> key in CTE)
- create predefined field named 'temp' and set temp in initial step at 23 (r/t) acting on the desired set(category: other)
- right-click Predefined Fields, choose Manager
- pick the step where the temp changes, click Edit. Then Status: Modified, change magnitude as desired.

Hope this helps,
mizzjoey

If you're not seeing any effect from the temperatures then you've probably missed out the thermal expansion coefficient. It's easily done. You can also save your input temperatures as an output variable to check if you really are inputting what you think you are, where you want it to go. I've seen anlayses before where the mesh has changed and the temperatures have just been scattered around with the change in node number and position.
If the loads and displacements you've input for the stress analysis aren't being input or recognised then.. I haven't a clue, sorry.

corus

Hi mambo5.

Haven't logged into this site for a long time! Anyway, here's one example. I created a simple, generic rubber oring part installed in a cavity. The first step is installation and the second is the thermal expansion. Note that I created the predefined field in the initial step. If you don't change the temperature in Step-1, you can set the predefined field to start in Step-1, doesn't matter.

Try running it on your pc. This model is pretty generic (I can't emphasize this enough, just in case my colleagues from the legal dept stumble upon this site - phew!) so you need to check on the CTE of the rubber coz I made up the value :)

hope this helps,
jo

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5a4c59db-9d1c-4052-99c8-9e7bfe81125d&file=job-1.inp
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back