Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermal and mechanical properties of rubber

Status
Not open for further replies.

phadams

Automotive
Aug 31, 2005
US
I am developing a product which will be made of rubber (natural or synthetic), but I'm having trouble finding information concerning the thermal and mechanical properties of rubber materials. Can you direct me to some good information?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Getting the right thermal and mechanical properties for rubber is difficult, since there are so many factors that come into play. Obviously, things like cure time and temperature matter, but even with those held constant, there can be huge variations from one material to the next related to temperature, strain level, loading rate, and type (obviously, there's tensile and compression tests, but there are many others also). I know that there are various on-line databases which claim to have generic rubber constants and coefficients, but in my experiences, they usually differ quite a bit from your own material when you try to use these numbers for FEA analysis. To really get a hold of elastomer properties, you need to get your material tested, and use that data for FEA. Most programs (ABAQUS, MSC.Marc, ANSYS) all do a pretty good job integrating data by now, and various labs (such as Axel Products) work closely together with them to get precisely this type of data.

I am also curious and want to learn a little bit more on this topic.

Actually my company is looking for a kind of material, with

- elasticity characteristic
- But higher heat transfer coefficient (Normally is Lower for nonmetal material)

Is that available on market?
Or possible to be modified from some rubber initially mix-compound ?

From Parker web site could download a nice o-ring handbook.

FreddyMusic

-------------------------
Important information for all new members
Readme FAQ731-376

Hi,

I think your best bet would be to find a good rubber manufacturer to work with.

There are so many types of rubber material available and each one can have it's properties enahnced with additives in the compound. You would need to study this for a really long time.

Next step: I suggest that you work out the properties [in as much detail as possible] that you need from your rubber products/parts and let the rubber manufacturer help you. He should know what you need.

This will save you a lot of work. Good idea?

If you need anymore assistance, you could either tell me the properties you need through this forum, or contact me through my webiste.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back