Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thermal capacity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sealab

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2014
GB
hello

Thermal capacity constant is supposed to be constant, however I reckon that it needs (slightly) different amount of energy to heat, eg. a kilogram of water from 20 to 21 degrees C, than to heat a kilogram of water from 80 to 81 degrees C.

Is it really different? And if yes, do you have any reference?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am use to the term specific heat and for water it is understood to be one (1) at whatever temperature you are at, however, since specific heat for many substances will vary with temperature, I would not be surprise if some very small percentage of one(1) may vary with liquid water as the temperature changes.

5 seconds from accessing Google to getting the data. It took longer to type this than to find the data:

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

thanks for the link

I would expect that the thermal capacity of water would be less as we reach higher temperatures, because the closer the molecules are, the stronger the forces between them, as they are inversely related with the square of distance

but it seems to be the opposite, any ideas why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back