Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thermal coefficient of expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

boldfish

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2003
US
Does anyone know of or has anyone seen a poster size reference chart that has among other things, the thermal coefficient of expansion for various materials? I believe there are also graphical representations of the material's deflection vs temperature for the pertinent range(s).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Be careful with TEx data. You have to watch what they are reporting. Is the number at a specific temp or over a range? Look carefuly.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be slowed down.

I'm looking specifically for this poster rather than material properties. It has been years since I last saw one but I know what I'm looking for does exist.

There are many references where one can find characteristics for a given material; matweb is one of the least desirable choices.

"There are many references where one can find characteristics for a given material; matweb is one of the least desirable choices."

one question: Why do you consider matweb one of the least desireable choices?

nick

"Published references are preferred. All information on the web is questionable."

true, however MatWeb is an exception (along with other places on the web). If you look at the bottom of the datasheet there is often a list of references given. Admittedly this data often has no test method given nor any info on various preperation procedures. Using that level of skepticism though the only desireable choice is the ASM Metals Handbooks, These are very expensive, and more than complete, however they are sure to contain an error or two.

Even the Guide to Engineered Materials published by ASM in AM&P every december has errors.

I gues I just havent found a fatal flaw yet in matweb and wonder if there really are any.

Not that I would use mat web as a certifiable source. That can only be done by an accreditted lab and or the producer of a material.

nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back