Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermal Conductivity Measurement Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If anyone out there has had any experience or advice that they would be willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'd be surprised if there wasn't already out there instruments to measure both. Certainly one exists to measure thermal conductivity as I'm sure one or more of MintJulep's ASTM test methods will specify the device. As for thermal contact resistance, an ASTM test method may specify a device but I am less sure.

Tunalover

Yes, there are instruments, although the second site seems to show a different measurement technique

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Drawing a sketch of the instrument is the easy part. Actually constructing an instrument that works accurately is quite complex. I've considered it in the past and did not proceed.

I have used a few of these over the years.
Yet get different TC values depending on which measurement method you use.
This is because it is so difficult to account for all of the biases and errors.
Find a lab that does this for a living and pay them, at least then you will get consistency.
(calibration is a bitch)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

I agree with EdStainless. A reputable lab will have a setup compliant to the ASTM spec and can produce the best results. Why reinvent the wheel?

Tunalover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back