Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermal Conductivity of gas mixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

ercegs

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2007
NO
Hi, can someone direct me to a book, or website, whcih can show me how to calculate thermal conductivity and dynamic viscosity of mixture of gases?

My mixture consists of: Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Carbon monoxyde, Carbon Dyoxide, Methane and water vapor...

I need formula to calculate thermal conductivity, and viscosity..

Thank you for help in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ercegs,

There are procedures in the TEMA (Tubular Exchanger Manufacturers Association) book for calculating the properties of mixed gases. However, you need the individual properties to do it.

Regards,

speco

I suggest Perry-Chilton 'Chemical Engineers' Handbook', if you can have access to it: it has a long chapter entirely devoted to chemical and physical properties and to the prediction and correlation of physical properties.
In short, if you don't need a detailed discussion and references, this is what they suggest for gas mixtures at low pressures.
-thermal conductivity k=[Σ]y[sub]i[/sub]k[sub]i[/sub](M[sub]i[/sub])[sup]1/3[/sup]/[Σ]y[sub]i[/sub](M[sub]i[/sub])[sup]1/3[/sup]
-viscosity [μ]=[Σ]y[sub]i[/sub][μ][sub]i[/sub](M[sub]i[/sub])[sup]1/2[/sup]/[Σ]y[sub]i[/sub](M[sub]i[/sub])[sup]1/2[/sup]
where y is the mole fraction and M the molecular weight.

prex
: Online engineering calculations
: Magnetic brakes for fun rides
: Air bearing pads

Speco,

thank you very much...And can you tell me, for water vapor, I need cp, thermal conductivity etc...On the net, I have only found values for 1 bar, and I have 21 bar at 210deg celsius?

Is it possible to find somewhere these values, or these values are available only for 1 bar?

Yes, I saw that..but, someone is trying to convince me that Cp for water vapor at 210deg and 21 bar is 1.97kj/kgK (and that is the value for 210deg and 1 bar)...So I just wanted to see if I'm right

Cp for water vapor is;I understand is at contant pressure.Thus Cp must vary with changed pressure conditions.
The Change of phase case involves absorbtion of(Latent)heat when boiling starts around atmospheric pressure.
Hope this is helping

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back