Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermal Contact Solid-Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVSmith

Computer
Jan 18, 2011
GB
Hi - I've recently been investigating thermal conduction in a simple model comprising a solid and a 3D thermal shell, a visual representation of which can be seen in the attached file.

I've done some reading about thermal contact, especially this thread:
and this link:

The code I have implemented is here:

Code:
ET,1,SHELL131
KEYOPT,1,3,2
KEYOPT,1,4,1
R,1						
SECTYPE,1,SHELL
SECDATA,1E-6,1

ET,2,SOLID70
R,2
MP,DENS,2,8000
MP,C,2,502.1
MP,KXX,2,16.26

BLC4,-L/2,-L/2,L,L  					
ASEL,S,AREA,,1
AESIZE,ALL,L/20						
AMESH,ALL

BLOCK,-L/2,L/2,L/2,L/2+L/10,-0.5E-3,0.5E-3
VSEL,S,VOLU,,1
VMESH,ALL

ASEL,S,AREA,,1
ESLA,S
NSLA,S,1
CM,FOIL,NODE
CM,FOIL_E,ELEM
IC,FOIL,ALL,300

VSEL,S,VOLU,,1
ESLV,S
NSLV,S,1
CM,TOPSUPPORT,NODE
CM,TOPSUPPORT_E,ELEM
IC,TOPSUPPORT,ALL,300

ET,3,TARGE170
R,3
KEYOPT,3,1,0

ET,4,CONTA175
R,4
KEYOPT,4,1,2
KEYOPT,4,2,1
!KEYOPT,4,5,3
KEYOPT,4,5,1
KEYOPT,4,9,1
KEYOPT,4,11,1
KEYOPT,4,12,5

TCC=100
RMODIF,4,14,TCC

TYPE,3
ESEL,S,TYPE,,1
NSLE,S,ALL
ESURF

TYPE,4
ESEL,S,TYPE,,2
NSLE,S,ALL
ESURF

Results obtained appear to show that some conduction is occuring in the top block (SOLID70) but only at one edge. The effect is also quite small so requires a re-scale of the contours to see.

From an initial look is anyone able to say whether:
a) contact and target surfaces are what I require to model conductive heat transfer between the solid and the shell?
b) the code I have, above, is likely to be correct? And if so why the conductance would only appear to happen at one corner?

I also am struglling to work out how to calculate TCC for the system, so for now I input a large constant which I hope leads to almost "perfect" conductivity.

Thanks for any insight you can lend, much appreciated
HVSmith

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also, thermal contact conductance is a material property (the inverse of thermal contact resistance). If two surfaces are welded or are otherwise represent a single piece, it should be effectively infinite.

Thanks. I've taken on board your advice over the keyopts and the contact technology guide, both very useful.

I've also added in a keyopt(5)=5 on targe170, this seemed sensible from further reading.

In the contact technology guide it states that for shell-solid contact keyopt(1) > 0 are ignored. This has confused, and worried, me quite a lot, since I was using keyopt(1)=2 for TEMP DOF. Keyopt(1)<0 would imply UX,UY,UZ but this is for a thermal analysis, so TEMP should surely be used as a degree of freedom?
Are you able to shed any light on this matter for me?

I've re-scaled the contours in the attached plot to show the result I am getting. Initially both elements are at 300K, so I can see that there is a conduction effect occuring between them, however, it still seems skewed to one side, for some reason. I thought there might be a method of increasing the amount of point contacts, to smear this out, is this even possible? Or the cause?

Thanks
HVSmith

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6acfb3f2-813f-4e10-a1e2-75cfd3a20f9b&file=mpc_high_tcc.JPG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back