Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thermal Fuse for panel heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clareok

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2011
IE
Hi – last year a purchased a panel heater but since it has stopped working, I have established that it is the thermal fuse that is gone.
I cannot find on the internet the same fuse, so I need some help to understand these components. Since I cannot find the exact same fuse, I need to figure how I can use an alternative. I can get a 4A fuse with a function temperature of 84°C. As the existing one is set to 65°C will this alternative one be too dangerous to use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is the more common variety, there are a ton of them on ebay Not electrically insulated, some heat shrink can be put over it. The are often used with heat conducting up the leads from a hot terminal. So length is important. The effective temperature can often be raised by making the lead longer than previous. Be sure to heat shrink lead with pliers when soldering to prevent fuse opening up.

Thermal fuses are quite readily available. Here in New Zealand, I can get them from RS Components, Element14, and even the local Jaycar store.
Do not be tempted to up-rate the temperature rating of the thermal fuse, it has been chosen carefully by the manufacturer to limit the chance of the appliance catching fire.
I have replaced several of these fuses in coffee pots and the like, and have found that the way that the fuse is installed and the presence of any glass fibre insulation is critical to effecting a lasting repair.

When you say not to uprate the temp rating, do you mean the temp or the amps? could i use the 65C 10 amp alternative for my application, 65C 4 amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back