Thermal mechanical properties of pharma tablet or chew gum

Status
Not open for further replies.

HilaryE

Bioengineer
Mar 13, 2014
PL
Dear All,

I am looking for the thermal-mechanical properties of some pharmaceutical tablet, a chew gum, or similar.

Specifically, I am looking for:
- Density (kg/m3)
- Specific heat (j/kg k)
- Thermal conductivity (w/m k)
- Viscosity (kg/m s)
- Molecular weight (kg/kg mol)
- Standard state enthalpy (j/kg mol)

I searched several material databases (they usually contain pure materials like steel, etc.), a number of scientific articles, etc.

I found only info on the density that it ranges between 1000-1500(kg/m3).
I also found that some ingredients of some tablets have the thermal conductivity approx. 750(w/m k).

Please help.
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems like two different materials, both of which are going to vary depending on formulation and intended use -

chewing gum is mostly chicle or other rubber(s), with some added sugar, emulsifiers, and whatever pharmaceutical is added. see
Tablets are typically composed of starch (corn?) or other binders mixed (with water?) with the pharmaceutical (and other stuff) and pressed to shape, then allowed to dry. see
Bottom line, I don't think there is a fixed answer to your question - the properties are going to vary, possibly a lot, depending on the formulation of the object.

Thank you for your feedback guys.

@btrueblood
Indeed, the properties of a tablet and a chewing gum are probably too different.
In essence, I am more interested in thermal-mechanical properties of a chewing gum.

@Compositepro
That is right. It should be 0.75(w/m k).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back