Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thermal oil boiler cracked tube 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgeineering

Industrial
Mar 10, 2024
CA
What would be the best way to weld some cracks on a thermal oil boiler coil? I was thinking 6011, but after some welding at 50 amps, it blows a hole and oil leaks out. Also did some tig with er70s6, but it spatter too much. Ive tried emptying all the oil that i can at the pump and outlet lines, but cannot get the oil completly out of the coil as it is thick at cooler temps.

Should i drill a hole at the lowest point and heat with torch to try and drain oil or is it common practice to be able to weld while oil is still inside the coil tubes?

Here is a picture to help understand the issue I'm having. The boiler is run 1t 160 centigrade and sends oil to radiators inside a oven.

20240225_140416_mknh7l.jpg
20240225_170122_q0bvwu.jpg
20240225_170122_jk2cht.jpg
20240225_143209_kncjep.jpg

20240207_151002_k8edib.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Flame impingemnt seems to have caused this nightmare. Tube replacement is one way but you have to determine the cause before any repair is done. Also before you undertake tube replacement make sure that there is no other tubes that may have been distorted otherwise you could have interference issues during the tube replacement work. I have seen tubes segments welded to damaged tubes of water tube boilers however in your case accessibility to do such repair may not be feasible.

It seems you are speaking of an hot oil heater? Your pipes show signs of hot spots overheating due to flame impingment from burners or lack of fluid inside pipes. From the fotograph you show us, there is no way to repair your tubes. You have to replace the damaged coils, and make an intire inspection to all of the piping.

If flame impingement is the cause for these ruptures, then also change the burner type. For example, Maxon have burners with a smaller flame envelope for the same btu/hr release.

Is there no "sightglass" or "view port" or something to accurately determine what your flame is doing ?

Can you adjust flame length with your scheme ??

How will repaired boiler tubes correct the root of the problem ???

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back