Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermal oxidiser efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryB

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2002
GB
We are running a natural gas fired thermal oxidiser to destroy solvent laden air from coating process. The solvents include methanol, acetone, THF, MEK, MIBK etc.
Gas consumption is extremely high and we are trying to optimise temperatures at flue stack and oxidation to maximise efficiency.

Has anybody done this or similar and would welcome sharing experiences ?

Thanks
Terry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TERRYB:

I am assuming this is part of a site cleanup and is probably part of a vapor extraction system. Is it or are you doing something else?

The regulatory agency should have a minimum stack temperature for the oxidizer. This minimum is based on the residence time and the items being burned. I suggest you contact them. Somewhere around 1000 -1500 deg F sticks in my mind, but I am not sure, it has been many years since I have done this.

Out of curiosity, where are you located

Regards
Dave

Terry I design thermal oxidizer and would like to help. First of all I need to know what type of oxidizer you are currently using? Recoup, Regen, or DTO. Regens are the most efficent (up to 95%) but there are different styles; poppet valve, rotary valve, flapper valve. Typically in the printing industry or coating process we use 1400-1500 for a 98% destruction. If you do not need this high destruction effiecency you could take this down lower. There is a catch, you will need to run at the temp you were approved at. If you fill me in on your oxidizer I would be happy to help.
Thanks,
David K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back