Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thermal shock analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kize

Mechanical
Aug 4, 2003
TH
i want to do thermal shock analysis using Abaqus, but still don't have any ideas. please suggest me for the analyze technique.

thank in advance,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you know what it is you're analysing?

corus

my analysis is to simulate the stress, deformation and failure on the plastic part which temperature are reduce from 20 degree.C to -30 degree.C

The most simple, but more computationally intensive, is a transient coupled thermal-displacement step. Simply apply a predefined field as a temperature of 20degC and ramp your temperature boundary condition to -30degC over a specified time with a number of increments. Constrain other BC's in the usual way. The hard part may be determining the rate of temperature decrease (step/ramp/curve/etc) or the use of a temperature BC compared to a surface film condition.

See section 6.5.3 and 6.5.4 in your manual.

thank you for all giving the ideas.

Hi all.

I'm modeling something similar, which is thermal strain of a cam cover/seal/head assy. I'm using predefined fields as explained by MrMyers, but would like to have more information on the surface film condition, if I may.

thanks in advance,
jo

Only use coupled temperature displacement models where the change in shape of the object will affect the thermal boundary conditions. Otherwise run the thermal analysis first, save the temperatures and then load them back into the stress model. Much quicker in run-time too.

Film conditions on surfaces will depend on various factors such as flow rate etc. If you have any real data then the best way is to 'fudge' the boundary conditions (to use a technical term) so that your model results will be approximately the same as your measured temperatures.

corus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back