Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thermal stress question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom690

Automotive
Jan 30, 2024
GB
Hi everyone, so im analysing brake discs and the heat caused under braking. I have made models where both pad and disc are rigid, and where both are deformable. Now, rhe deformable models take a very long time to run. I’m wondering if thermal stress output for the rigid body models (or maybe only rigid pad?) would be accurate or would the rigidity cause it to be wrong? Also is Von Mises stress the best way to find thermal stress? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Von Mises stress is a yield criteria for materials like metals that have a yield behavior. Might be ok for the discs; probably not the appropriate criteria for the pad material.

Thanks for the reply! Well thats good as im only interested in the disc haha. Would you be able to comment on the validity of rigid bodies in my case?

Sorry, the only thermal models I have done were very very long ago.
Are you running some sort of coupled stress/thermal analysis?
And yeah, a rigid element is not going to output any stresses.

Ah yeah that was dumb of me haha. How about only a rigid pad? Would that cause a large increase in stress? And yes this is a coupled stress temp analysis:)

Check the documentation example "Thermal-stress analysis of a disc brake" (Example Problems guide). You can easily modify it by making the pad rigid (just apply a rigid body constraint to it) to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back