Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thermal stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

micks

Structural
Sep 10, 2011
Hi I need one clarification. I have to solve the problem of steel plate which is clamped at all the four edges and subjected to increasing temperature from 20 to 600 C. yield stress 350MPa.

What will be the thermal stress w.r.t temperature.ie whether rising curve or falling curve.

I have solved using ANSYS, I am getting falling curve. ie at 25 degree C stress at midpoint is almost 348MPa. and at 50 degree C 343MPa.

Is that correct or my simulation is wrong.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume you are doing a static analysis. Thermal stress should increase with increase temperature. I dont know how you are applying temperature on you model, but you should get maximum stress at the clamped area.

Having said that, make sure you have a decently good mesh, and you take reading from the same point.

Hi Harishamid, Thank you very much for your timely reply.

No I m doing transient analysis. Temperature should vary form ambient to 800C with respect to time. I am applying temperature uniformly throughout the plate.

Actually my problem is to find stress in plate with increasing temperature. ya I m using 25mm mesh. Reading results at same point.

and also my analysis is getting stopped by around 150C.Results are not converging after that.

If you have any reference please give me. It will be very useful for my project.

Thank you once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back