Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermal Stresses in Circular Concrete Tanks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmessayons

Civil/Environmental
Jul 14, 2005
US
I am designing a conventionally reinforced, above-grade circular concrete tank. I am concerned with potential thermal stresses in the walls. Any suggestions or references would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Before you worry about thermal stresses, you need to perform the initial design. Luckily, the basic design and thermal stress effects are in the same book, "Circular Concrete Tanks without Prestressing" by Portland Cement Association (PCA). You need to get it.

Thanks Jed.

It looks like the PCA concentrates on hoop stresses and circumferential moments. I'm looking for discussion of the vertical moments/stresses induced in the walls due to temperature gradients. Any thoughts?

It depends on which direction the thermal gradient applies. If it's a radial gradient then you need to consider plane strain effects. If it's an axial gradient then the solution depends on the restraints near the gradient. For normal structures I'd refer to any book on thermal stresses. For reinforced concrete, I don't know.

corus

Additional hoop steel in walls, As = ( 9 t^2 T ) / ( 17,500 d ); where As = Additional hoop reinforcing in square inches, t = Wall thickness in inches, T = Temperature differential in degrees Ferenheit, d = Distance to tensile reinforcing in inches (approx t - 2.5").

This reinforcing is added to the area of reinforcing that you calculate for the "normal" hoop tension.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back